Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge

Default Which woods darken over time?

I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for my
question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not sure how
much the color will change over time and the person I'm making these things
for was asking.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for
my question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not
sure how much the color will change over time and the person I'm making
these things for was asking.

I do not know of any wood that will not darken if exposed to "sun light".
Maple will darken if exposed to sun light.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for
my question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not
sure how much the color will change over time and the person I'm making
these things for was asking.

Walnut actually gets lighter. Not dramatically though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:01:05 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
.com...
I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for
my question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not
sure how much the color will change over time and the person I'm making
these things for was asking.

I do not know of any wood that will not darken if exposed to "sun light".
Maple will darken if exposed to sun light.

Walnut, especially kiln-dried walnut, will lighten to a tan color,
will it not? Certainly seems to be my experience.

Purpleheart will eventually fade to some kind of brown or tan.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for
my question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not
sure how much the color will change over time and the person I'm making
these things for was asking.

As others have mentioned, walnut's supposed to be the odd man out. It gets
lighter. Thirty years and waiting on my former living room set in use at
the daughter's. Looks pretty much the same as when first finished, only the
surface has a lot of dings and scratches repaired by additional oil-based
finish.

I used linseed - based finish, which, as you know, darkens with time. Could
be the reason. Use outdoor types with UV inhibitors to hedge your bets.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge

Thanks George. Now that everyone has mentioned Walnut getting lighter, I
think I remember hearing that somewhere. Thanks for the help just the same.

Mike