Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Which woods darken over time?

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
. com...
I'm trying to find out how to determine which woods will darken over time.
I know Cherry and Mahogany do, but which others and why? The reason for
my question is I'm building a couple of things from Walnut and I'm not
sure how much the color will change over time and the person I'm making
these things for was asking.

As others have mentioned, walnut's supposed to be the odd man out. It gets
lighter. Thirty years and waiting on my former living room set in use at
the daughter's. Looks pretty much the same as when first finished, only the
surface has a lot of dings and scratches repaired by additional oil-based
finish.

I used linseed - based finish, which, as you know, darkens with time. Could
be the reason. Use outdoor types with UV inhibitors to hedge your bets.