Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default does all wood darken?

On Jun 21, 12:21*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
dustyone wrote:
Does all wood darken with age? *Cherry, of course, is an example of
such a species. *Do other woods behave in the same way? *One would
think that most color would fade with exposure to light, and that
cherry is an anomaly.

All wood eventually oxidizes to one degree or another - and the woods
I'm familiar with will oxidize until they eventually turn black.

What time frame are you talking about? I suppose if you wait long
enough the wood would turn into oil, so yes, it would turn black. But
there's plenty of wood lying around this place that isn't continuing
to darken. I have some unfinished pine window trim that has been
sitting in the sun for years and it isn't getting noticeably darker.
If anything it's lightening up some after the initial darkening.