jester

Default Pneumatic fastener question (part 2 from T-111)

OK... The info from the previous post is quite clear... go with a
framing nailer for T-111 hanging... But here is another question I have
come up with from browsing all the pneumatic nailers out the
What the what!?
Brads I get... for small, fine woodworking, tacking, etc.
Finishing nails... bigger than brads, longer (just a tad) and heaver...
but there are 2 kinds angled and straight... then you throw in the
crown staplers (seem like they are finish nailer with an attitude),
framing nailers (all the types; rolled, straight, full head or clipped
head...)

Does anyone have a nice resource that lists the type of fastener and
it's use? Or anyone have the time to make such a list... I'm sure the
vendors could clearly explain why I need one of each type... but I'm
looking for the general use of these different fastener technologies.

I'm lost in a sea of pointy wire things that all seem to look basically
the same and need help figuring out which does what!
Charlie Self

Jester asks:

What the what!?
Brads I get... for small, fine woodworking, tacking, etc.
Finishing nails... bigger than brads, longer (just a tad) and heaver...
but there are 2 kinds angled and straight... then you throw in the
crown staplers (seem like they are finish nailer with an attitude),
framing nailers (all the types; rolled, straight, full head or clipped
head...)

Does anyone have a nice resource that lists the type of fastener and
it's use? Or anyone have the time to make such a list... I'm sure the
vendors could clearly explain why I need one of each type... but I'm
looking for the general use of these different fastener technologies.

I'm lost in a sea of pointy wire things that all seem to look basically
the same and need help figuring out which does what!

They are not even close to all the same. 18 gauge brad nailers and pin nailers
are useful for small objects and projects. 15 and 16 gauge finish nailers are
needed for molding, and some paneling. The slanted finish nailers let you get
in closer in tight corners. I'm not sure wha tyou mea by crown staplers:
staples have a crown, or width, that varies with intended use. Check with the
makers for which is best for which purpose, as there are probably a dozen,
which I don't want to explain right now, even if I could remember them all.
Framing nailers also come in a wide variety of sizes. Get a slanted nailer that
takes a full head nail, as codes in some locales refuse to accept clipped
heads. The slant won't be as steep on the full head nailers. You might also
want to pick up a framing nailer that holds more than 60-70 nails. That is the
coil type. They are usually limited in largest size to a bit less than a stick
framing nailer. To supplement that, you can buy a super heavy duty spike nailer
that will drive at least 5" long nails. Check Hitachi for thise, IIRC. And for
more fun, look over the roofing staplers and nailers.

And there really is a valid reason for every blinking one of these fastener
drivers.

Charlie Self
"Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Eric Ryder

"jester" wrote in message
[...]

The siding nailers are the right tool for your stuff. Coil feed, thinner
head and wire than the framers. Galv and SS nails readily available. I've
had the Bostich and have the Makita now

http://www.firstauction.com/shop/typ...de_552708.html