Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta spindle sander

Any of you guys own or have any experience with the Delta 31-780 BOSS
Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander? Guy's asking $125 for what he
describes as a "gently used" machine. I'm going to check it out
tomorrow, but I'd like the benefit of folks who have had hands on with in.

TIA

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , TD Driver wrote:
Any of you guys own or have any experience with the Delta 31-780 BOSS
Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander? Guy's asking $125 for what he
describes as a "gently used" machine. I'm going to check it out
tomorrow, but I'd like the benefit of folks who have had hands on with in.

I've owned one for about five or six years now. I consider it one of my best
tool purchases. Not much to it: it just sits there quietly doing its job. And
I mean *quiet*. There's no need at all for ear protection (and I'm a fanatic
about ear protection). Drums and sleeves are quick and easy to change. The
only warning I have for you is to at least loosen the bolt that holds the drum
down when you're done; otherwise, if you leave the drum compressed, it can
take a "set" and you'll have a hard time removing the sleeve. (The one time I
made this mistake, I caught it fairly quickly -- a day or two -- and the drum
did eventually return to its original shape. But if you leave a drum
compressed for a week, you may wind up needing a new drum.)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , TD Driver
wrote:
[...]

My experience exactly.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:
Any of you guys own or have any experience with the Delta 31-780 BOSS
Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander? Guy's asking $125 for what he
describes as a "gently used" machine. I'm going to check it out
tomorrow, but I'd like the benefit of folks who have had hands on with in.

Good tool ... got one years ago as a B'day present from SWMBO. I use it
for all curved parts.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had one for four or five years, used for sanding curves in "cloud
lifts"
router patterns and even some shaping of the legs for bonsai tables and
the like. Have a 12" disk sander for flat stuff but about a year ago
got
the Rigid oscillating belt sander/spindle sander. It's become the go to
tool
for sanding flat edges and curves - though it is definitely LOUDER than
either the Delta drum or oscillating spindle sander - and it has a
tilting
table, something the BOSS lacks.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Larry,
I bought mine used for the same price as the one you are looking at
and after using it for hundreds of times I felt like I stole it.
Occasionally I'd like to be able to tilt the table but those instances
are minimal and witht the table being round it makes it easier to
angle a large workpiece on the circuference to sand an angled edge.
Very nice dust extraction and quiet too. Most other brand sanding
tubes fit the drums. Some of the JEt tubes are much longer but you
get the option of flipping them over when worn.

Marc

Spindle nose adapter for Delta-Rockwell 11" lathe (#25-100) with L-00 spindle Dan Allen Metalworking 7 April 3rd 14 05:12 PM
Spindle sander Chris Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 11:25 PM
Delta DP Spindle sander attachment (17-960) TAg Gavin Woodworking 5 September 3rd 05 02:09 PM
Delta spindle sander [email protected] Woodworking 1 May 10th 05 01:03 AM
Spindle / 12" disc sander B a r r y B u r k e J r . Woodworking 7 January 17th 04 12:50 AM