Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spindle sander

I feel silly asking, but I was using a portable spindle sander tonight on a
piece of cedar. I found it hard to use it without leaving ridges. I tried
using it fast & slow, I came to the opinion that moving it slower over the
work was better. Any tips? Maybe using a table mounted one is easier. I
thought it would be very easy to fair out a curve using it.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris" wrote:

I feel silly asking, but I was using a portable spindle sander

tonight on a
piece of cedar. I found it hard to use it without leaving ridges. I

tried
using it fast & slow, I came to the opinion that moving it slower

over the
work was better. Any tips? Maybe using a table mounted one is

easier. I
thought it would be very easy to fair out a curve using

it.

What you tried to do is not easy.

Think of a router in a table with a reference pin installed to allow
you control of the piece as it approaches the bit.

You have essentially the same task with your sander.

If this is a concave curve, then you have little choice.

If this is a convex curve, then it is impossible to beat a fairing
board and a batten.

When your arms feel like they are ready to drop off, your piece is
fair.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's a Porter cable oscillating sander with an 80 grit.
"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
I feel silly asking, but I was using a portable spindle sander tonight on
a piece of cedar. I found it hard to use it without leaving ridges. I
tried using it fast & slow, I came to the opinion that moving it slower
over the work was better. Any tips? Maybe using a table mounted one is
easier. I thought it would be very easy to fair out a curve using it.

Chris

What portable spindle sander are you using and at what grit?

Look into oscillating spindle sanders. I think the oscillations make it
possible to avoid this problem. I bought a rigid that received very high
marks in a recent issue of Fine Woodworking magazine. Does both spindle
and belt sanding with oscillations.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/EB4424-Sander/

--
www.garagewoodworks.com