Old June 14th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a Spiral Groove in Column

I need to make a spiral groove in a couple of columns. I only have to
do it in two columns and I may not do another for a LONG time, so a
complex jig that will take room and time to build is not an attractive
approach.

An alternative way is to put a grid pattern on the column and join
points along the grid to make a spiral groove manually using gouges
and chisels. That is a possibility, but I am afraid of how tedious
this would be and my ability to make a clean, attractive groove using
this method.

I wonder if someone has a BLEND of a simple jig and a manual layout
that might use something like a follower groove as a path for a
follower arm attached to a router. Has anyone come up with something
like this?

If not, and the manual way is the way to go, is there someplace on the
web that goes through the steps for doing this that will help me be
successful?

Old June 14th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

eganders wrote:
[...]

It would probably help if you would give some additional
details regarding the dimensions of the column, whether
or not it's tapered, the desired pitch, width, and depth
of the groove, etc.

Old June 14th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

eganders wrote:
[...]

Use a strip of heavy weight paper cut into a long strip and spiral the
strip around the column at the desired angle. Use a paper heavy enough
to prevent lateral flexing. Mark the edge of the paper. A course file
can be used to a major portion of the groove.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old June 14th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
eganders wrote:
[...]

One of the TV woodworking shows had an episode on just this project. I
forget which one but a little research on the net should find which one.
It was a good show IMHO.

Dave Nagel
Old June 14th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

If the diameter of the column is large enough, you may be
able to use some type of flexible battern like 1/8" BB
plywood, and tack it to the column to act as a fence
for a router.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Old June 14th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"eganders" wrote:

I need to make a spiral groove in a couple of columns. I only have
do it in two columns and I may not do another for a LONG time, so a
complex jig that will take room and time to build is not an
attractive
approach.

Find somebody with a Sears & Roebuck "Router Crafter".

It was an accessory for a router to do specifically what you want to
do.

Lew

Old June 15th 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 5:44*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"eganders" wrote:
I need to make a spiral groove in a couple of columns. *I only have
do it in two columns and I may not do another for a LONG time, so a
complex jig that will take room and time to build is not an
attractive
approach.

Find somebody with a Sears & Roebuck "Router Crafter".

It was an accessory for a router to do specifically what you want to
do.

Lew

Thanks folks. You all gave good ideas. I will look up the router
crafter. The thin plywood guide may be a way to go also. I don't
have all the details yet (my daughter in law is asking for it for
their new house and we don't have dimensions yet). I believe it will
be a minimum of about 2 ft high and about a minimum of 3 inches in
diameter. I don't know how long--12 to 18 inches is a guess.
Old June 15th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:09:56 GMT, Nova wrote:

eganders wrote:
[...]

Or find someone with a CNC router or a router copyier if you have a
sample.
Old June 15th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 June, 15:01, eganders wrote:
I need to make a spiral groove in a couple of columns. *

You want one of these:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...y,_ 1925).jpg

An alternative way is to put a grid pattern on the column and join
points along the grid to make a spiral groove manually using gouges
and chisels. *

That's the usual way.

I think you will be needing a lathe to do this though: firstly to
shape the blank, then just as a way of holding the work between
centres so it's easy to turn it as you work on it.

Finish it off by using a custom made wooden plane (more of a
spokeshave / scraper) with an iron that matches the profile you want.
The lathe toolrest is replaced by a length of steel angle or box the
length of the workpiece and supported at two ends (this is an easy
gadget to make for a lathe if you can buy a spare toolrest slide).
Then make the finishing scraper so that the body rides on the long
toolrest and the iron is at the right helix angle for the spiral.
Old June 15th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 14 June, 15:01, eganders wrote:
I need to make a spiral groove in a couple of columns.

You want one of these:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...y,_ 1925).jpg

You're right! Do you know where I can get one?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/