Default Which is stronger lolly column or steel column?

I have a triple micro-lam beam that has a span of about 22 feet or so.
It is currently supported on each end by a concrete filled steel column
(lolly column).

I need to remove this column in the next week or so for some
renovation. Should it be replaced with a steel column (sched 40 or
so.) It's been fine as is for the past 5 years or so but I could swear
that the architect specified a steel column when it was built (as was
used in my garage to support the I-beams.)

Does anyone have any specs on when one is preferred over the other. I
realize the lolly column is like $10 and the steel column is about $50
but I'm not concerned about the difference in price.

Thanks.

Matt

Once I watched this movie with Gary Cooper, and he was building a
house.

And then him and his wife were at the house before it was done, and a
guy said: You want I should lally these columns?

And Gary said: No, no lallies today.

And then a bunch of wood came flying down, and then he yelled STOP and
then a bunch of guys started walking out, and then Gary said: No, no,
keep working, I was talking to the lally guy.

It turned out that everyone was leaving because it was Saturday though,
not because of the lally fiasco.

If I ever have a house built, I wont have any lallies in it, and I wont
have my lawyer/best friend/accountant/wife's weekend sex partner come
over to look at it. And if I did, I sure as hell wont let him in the
closet with the door that locks when you think its not locked.

HTH,
Matt

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 4 Jun 2005 19:32:07 -0700 "Matt"
posted:

Once I watched this movie with Gary Cooper, and he was building a
house.

And then him and his wife were at the house before it was done, and a
guy said: You want I should lally these columns?

And Gary said: No, no lallies today.

And then a bunch of wood came flying down, and then he yelled STOP and
then a bunch of guys started walking out, and then Gary said: No, no,
keep working, I was talking to the lally guy.

It turned out that everyone was leaving because it was Saturday though,
not because of the lally fiasco.

This is "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House". A really great movie,
both for people who do construction or handyman stuff, and for anyone
else too.

Stars Cary Grant, however. And Myrna Loy.

If I ever have a house built, I wont have any lallies in it, and I wont
have my lawyer/best friend/accountant/wife's weekend sex partner come

You may have missed that part. He was not her sex partner. Things
like that didn't happen in comedies of the period, and only by
wretches in the dramas of the period. Just a guess, but I think
you've been influenced, by modern movies and tv where large numbers of
people exhibit no morals, into thinking that that's the way things
were then, too, and in this movie in particular.

It would not have been funny if the plot were the way you saw it.

--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.