JGS

Default How to make flutes in side of tapered column??

We are trying to add flutes about 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide up the sides
of a pedestal's column. The column is turned such that it starts off at
the bottom about 7" in diameter growing to about 10" before ballooning
into a large knee. That's not very clear. The top end looks like the
end of a trumpet.
We thought we could use a plunge router and rig some kind of carrier
but the trumpet end prevents the bit from making contact all the way up
the column. Besides, the bit does not extend very far below the router's
base and by adding a carrier looks like it will not extend far enough
for much/any of the column.
Any ideas? Router or otherwise? Thanks, JG

George

"JGS" wrote in message
We are trying to add flutes about 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide up the sides
of a pedestal's column. The column is turned such that it starts off at
the bottom about 7" in diameter growing to about 10" before ballooning
into a large knee. That's not very clear. The top end looks like the
end of a trumpet.
We thought we could use a plunge router and rig some kind of carrier
but the trumpet end prevents the bit from making contact all the way up
the column. Besides, the bit does not extend very far below the router's
base and by adding a carrier looks like it will not extend far enough
for much/any of the column.
Any ideas? Router or otherwise? Thanks, JG

Rig a grinder with a ball rasp and see if you can't get close enough to
follow the contour.

Art Ransom

Magnate makes long shaft router bits. As for a guide for the router see my
site for some solutions. Of course I could always make them for you.
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Michael Latcha

You could always do what the Romans did, way before routers:
Carve them by hand.
It really isn't that hard.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI