JGS

Default How to make flutes in side of tapered column??

We are trying to add flutes about 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide up the sides
of a pedestal's column. The column is turned such that it starts off at
the bottom about 7" in diameter growing to about 10" before ballooning
into a large knee. That's not very clear. The top end looks like the
end of a trumpet.
We thought we could use a plunge router and rig some kind of carrier
but the trumpet end prevents the bit from making contact all the way up
the column. Besides, the bit does not extend very far below the router's
base and by adding a carrier looks like it will not extend far enough
for much/any of the column.
Any ideas? Router or otherwise? Thanks, JG