Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Electric Planer & Rebate

Layman. Today I put a piece of wood besides the work and both clamped in
a workmate. This piece of wood stood proud of the work, and upon it sat
the rebate foot of my electric planer. I was surprised to see that the
planer also planed the piece of wood. I see because the blade in the
planer sticks pround of the base-plate of the planer. I think this is
natural occurance when using the rebate feature and nothing can be done
to avoid cuting the piece of wood unless the blade matches exactly with
the edge of the base-plate. And even then I suspect there would be some
cutting as I used the planer.

I put my mind to homebrew a feature bolted on my workmate that used
angle iron for the rebate foot to rest upon, but I don't think this will
work. I'm a bit dissapointed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Layman. Today I put a piece of wood besides the work and both clamped
in a workmate. This piece of wood stood proud of the work, and upon it
sat the rebate foot of my electric planer. I was surprised to see that
the planer also planed the piece of wood. I see because the blade in
the planer sticks pround of the base-plate of the planer. I think this
is natural occurance when using the rebate feature and nothing can be
done to avoid cuting the piece of wood unless the blade matches
exactly with the edge of the base-plate. And even then I suspect there
would be some cutting as I used the planer.

I put my mind to homebrew a feature bolted on my workmate that used
angle iron for the rebate foot to rest upon, but I don't think this
will work. I'm a bit dissapointed.

I ought to say that I'm just regularly planing the work. The piece of
wood that the rebate foot sits on, is only being used so that I can
plane level from one end of the work to the other. I was not very good
getting a level plane and I thought I could use the rebate feature to
help me plane level. Looks like there is no way to avoid the piece of
wood next to the work upon which sits the rebate foot, getting cut.

Electric spokeshave or finger planer [email protected] Woodworking 7 July 18th 18 02:14 PM
Using electric planer Rich Woodworking 2 January 14th 09 05:05 PM
Electric Hand planer Locutus Woodworking 32 April 21st 07 10:54 AM
Electric Planer John UK diy 2 September 29th 06 09:12 PM
Jointer From Electric Planer J T Woodworking 0 January 9th 05 04:04 PM