Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Electric spokeshave or finger planer

Hello,
I there such a device as an electric spokeshave?? or
(as someone suggested) a "Finger Planer".

I wish to remove wood in confined spaces.
There is no room to operate a manual spokeshave.
A sander is also too big.

I have visions of a device construced of a cutting rotor (as
in a conventional electric planer) inside a pipe which
has a slit on it to allow the blades to get at the wood.

I have tralled the internet to no avail.

Any suggestions.

TIA.

P.K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I there such a device as an electric spokeshave?? or
(as someone suggested) a "Finger Planer".

I wish to remove wood in confined spaces.
There is no room to operate a manual spokeshave.
A sander is also too big.

I have visions of a device construced of a cutting rotor (as
in a conventional electric planer) inside a pipe which
has a slit on it to allow the blades to get at the wood.

I have tralled the internet to no avail.

Any suggestions.

There are finger planes and shaves built for carvers and Luthiers which even
have long handles. Perhaps what you're looking for would be served by a
scorp?

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:

Hello,
I there such a device as an electric spokeshave?? or
(as someone suggested) a "Finger Planer".

I haven't used them, but there are

Skinny Belt sanders (3/8" by 13")

http://www.amazon.com/Belt-Sander/dp...981388-9703329

Power Carver (movement is back and forth)
http://www.amazon.com/PROXXON-CARVER...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Dremel (Rotary)

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to posker1, Langley wrote:
Yes - very close too it..... It was compressed air driven, and It appears to
be a spoke shave like tool, but it has a cutting drum inside it, perhaps a
scrolling milling cutter, reprofiled.... Especially developed by Langley
Research for the purposes of shaving down wind tunnel fans...

You see them being used from at the 15 minute mark... onwards. BUT being a
special tool - OK I have never found one like it anywhere... . BUT something
similar could be made, some how, some way, with the right bits.....

I would like to get my hands on one myself......

Construction of Wooden Propellers for Wind Tunnels 1941 NACA Langley Research
Center

https://youtu.be/v1DCjR5mjnA

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...er-349433-.htm

Electric Planer John UK diy 2 September 29th 06 09:12 PM
I need a good Spokeshave EdG Woodworking 19 November 7th 05 05:20 AM
Jointer From Electric Planer J T Woodworking 0 January 9th 05 04:04 PM
Spokeshave Greg William Woodworking 3 May 1st 04 12:15 PM
ELECTRIC HAND PLANER QUESTION T. Woodworking 17 October 13th 03 08:18 PM