Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ben Ben is offline

Default Center vs Offset Pivot Hinge

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and an aspiring hobbyist cabinet maker.

I'll be building an installed bookcase wall in July with one segment
being a hidden door to the garage. I'll be using a pivot hinge for
this design and want to make sure I'm not missing something simple
regarding my choice of hinge.

I'm looking at center and offset pivots capable of holding 1000lbs+
(they won't need to hold more than a ~300lbs but I prefer to err
towards overkill on the hardware). The offset pivot is $150 less than
the center pivot and I can install either one easily. Rough dimensions
of the bookcase door are 36 x 11 x ~90. The pivot point of the hinge
will sit roughly 5" from the front and 5" from the side. Is there any
reason to use a center pivot hinge rather than an offset pivot?

Thanks,
-Ben