Posted to rec.woodworking

Default European Beech turning blank source?

Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.) 2"x2".
Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a source.
Anyone have a suggestion?

jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Jeff wrote:
Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.) 2"x2".
Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a source.
Anyone have a suggestion?

Does it absolutely have to be European beech, or is American beech adequate?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 10:24:01 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.)
2"x2". Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a
source. Anyone have a suggestion?

Presumably this is more than 'a couple of lengths' you're looking for?

Over here (I'm in the UK) Beech is quite a cheap hardwood - small stuff
like you're asking about is commonly used for things like wooden spoons,
rolling pins etc. Beech tables/chairs are one step up from solid pine,
which is one step up from veneered MDF.

How much you want could make quite a difference to the options - if you
want a full container load then I expect it could become worth your while
shipping it...

Can you say what properties you want from it so the USians can suggest
suitable native woods, or does it have to match something existing?

It is very nice to work with BTW - but is useless in damp conditions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.) 2"x2".
Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a source.
Anyone have a suggestion?

jeff

Try rec.crafts.woodturning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 May, 19:03, PCPaul wrote:

Over here (I'm in the UK) Beech is quite a cheap hardwood

It is very nice to work with BTW - but is useless in damp conditions.

Also the bugs love it, if you're making furniture.

It's fairly common to find "oak" furniture from between the wars made
with an oak face frame at the front, and cheaper beech for the
casework behind. Pick an old piece of that up, give it a good shake
and sometimes you can be left holding two front legs and a couple of
drawer fronts, the beech parts falling into a pile of frass!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-14 10:49:04 -0400, scritch said:

Jeff wrote:
Looking for a source for european beech turning blank (I'm in U.S.) 2"x2".
Tried searching online, but have been unable to track down a source.
Anyone have a suggestion?

jeff

Try rec.crafts.woodturning.

Sorry I didn;t specify quantity, it's a small amount. And the specs
call for european beech specifically, american beech can't be
substituted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Jeff wrote:

Sorry I didn;t specify quantity, it's a small amount. And the specs
call for european beech specifically, american beech can't be
substituted.

I think I'd go back to the person who wrote the specs and ask why it's
important that the project use European beech. American beech is nearly
identical in appearance and physical properties, and I believe it would take
an expert to tell them apart. (Please note that I am not suggesting that you
should substitute American beech and tell your customer you used European
beech, but rather, that if the customer approves the use of American beech,
nobody *else* will ever know.)

value of beech tree? jim UK diy 36 April 7th 08 07:50 PM
American Beech, to buy or not to buy. C & S Woodworking 15 March 14th 08 02:47 AM
Applying a finish to European Beech MartyMan Woodworking 3 August 10th 07 10:29 PM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM
Source for 2 x 2 exotic turning squares. Joe Fleming Woodturning 0 June 28th 04 09:00 PM