Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for Lumber in the Taos area

We're going to Taos for a vacation later this month, flying in and out of
Albequ. and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place there to
purchase -- or at least look at -- local lumber like mesquite or something
similar.
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
We're going to Taos for a vacation later this month, flying in and out of
Albequ. and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place there to
purchase -- or at least look at -- local lumber like mesquite or something
similar.
TIA
Norm

Would it be economical to fly wood out? Are you sure mesquite grows up
there?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
We're going to Taos for a vacation later this month, flying in and out of
Albequ. and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place there to
purchase -- or at least look at -- local lumber like mesquite or something
similar.
TIA
Norm

Would it be economical to fly wood out? Are you sure mesquite grows up
there?

I've never seen it grow anywhere north of Texas, and according to the
book "The Magnificent Mesquite" by Ken E. Rogers (I said "Ken E." not
"Kenny") that except for sparse areas in the southern corners of
California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado, Oklahoma is about as far north
as you're going to see it. Interestingly, it does grow in many other
continents: Central and South America, Africa, Central Asia, and Australia.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve is right...not much mesquite here. Native woods are mostly
ponderosa pine, juniper, cedar, spruce.
In Taos don't miss the Fechin House. He was a Russian woodworker that
did some really good stuff for his house in the Southwestern style

Shopping for a lumber rack in the Bay Area Fred Woodworking 5 September 22nd 05 01:30 AM
Boton area/source for raw fencing lumber? John Doe Woodworking 6 July 13th 05 02:50 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Places to buy lumber in the St. Louis area? Ben Siders Woodworking 9 August 26th 03 02:18 PM