Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lumbar for trim

Greetings Woodworkers,

I am going to make some new wooden baseboards for my house and would
like some recommendations regarding the best type of lumber to use.

Will pine be sufficiently durable to withstand years of wear and tear,
or should I consider using a hardwood? What grade lumber should I
look for? I intend to paint the boards, so knots should not present a
problem unless it will make it too difficult to shape the boards with
my router.

Sincerely,
JH
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 8:06*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
Normally one looks at the machine ability of the wood.
and popular is often used. *All wood hardens over time.

If you want oak to match something and stain it - use that.

If you plan on painting - use popular.

You want kiln dried.

Martin

wrote:
Greetings Woodworkers,

I am going to make some new wooden baseboards for my house and would
like some recommendations regarding the best type of lumber to use.

Will pine be sufficiently durable to withstand years of wear and tear,
or should I consider using a hardwood? *What grade lumber should I
look for? *I intend to paint the boards, so knots should not present a
problem unless it will make it too difficult to shape the boards with
my router.

Sincerely,
JH

Poplar is also popular
Posted to rec.woodworking

This makes my back ache.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Ambiguity is the first refuge of the wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Poplar is popular

but pine is fine

Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"Tim W" wrote in message

wrote in message

Poplar is popular

but pine is fine

Cherry is merry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:57:32 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I was thinking MDF is pretty common no?

....works like a charm...and when you fill *it* with bondo the patch is
more likely to remain invisible. I use it all the time, but *never*
in any situation where water may be an issue. (It's wonderful for
crown.) I do a lot of apartment remodels/move-out clean-ups and have
benifit of seeing work spanning back 15-20 years in some cases...it
holds up well. Much base gets hidden by furniture etc, and therefore
not so prone to getting dinged.

All that said, if it's my house I'm probably going poplar...

cg

snip
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 02:35:50 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

This makes my back ache.

....year, that lower *lumbar* region...I feel your pain!

cg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 9:08*pm, " wrote:
Greetings Woodworkers,

I am going to make some new wooden baseboards for my house and would
like some recommendations regarding the best type of lumber to use.

If you are planning on using "standard" profiles, that plastic stuff
they sell at Lowes and HD will last and last and takes paint well.

Once painted, only you would know if it was pine or oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bw" wrote in message

"Tim W" wrote in message

wrote in message

Poplar is popular

but pine is fine

Cherry is merry.

Oak will take a soak

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
Poplar is popular

but pine is fine

Cherry is merry.

Oak will take a soak

Maple is papal, but ash will take a bash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:01:56 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"bw" wrote in message

"Tim W" wrote in message

wrote in message

Poplar is popular

but pine is fine

Cherry is merry.

Oak will take a soak

Redwood is lighter than that wood.

I Am Reduced to Buying My Lumbar from the Big Box Stores jim evans[_2_] Home Repair 9 September 26th 08 03:22 AM
What do I really need to cut trim? [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 25th 06 05:53 AM
Looking for trim lemmy UK diy 4 May 5th 06 09:04 AM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM