Default miter box - dual bevel - worth it?

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

Yeah.. my initial thought is it's the same logic as having left-right
miter. It almost seems to logical to move left - right on both miter
and bevel.

What am I missing? Why would I not get dual bevel?

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:13:33 GMT, (Bruce) wrote:

In rec.woodworking
wrote:

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

It keeps you from ever having to cut with your stock upside down, which is
nice. Anything to make compound cuts easier on your brain is a good thing.

Bay Area Dave

It's NOT a novelty. I have the single bevel Dewalt and constantly wish
it was a dual type!

dave

wrote:

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

so I am not missing something.. at least I have company if I am.. ;-)

now I have to contemplate selling off my Hit C8FB2, 8.5" SCMS, in
favor of a 12" dual bevel (non slider).

{I see no reason why I'd need more than 8" capacity.. unless it was
rough cut, and then I'd just flip it over and have 16". I'd use my TS
box for precision work}

Does the Dewalt really have the most capacity? The belt drive design
seems to support that boast.

wrote:

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

Charlie Self

Bridger responds:

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

hitachi and bosch both have 'em. prolly others also...

Ridgid had one also. Bosch has 2, IIRC, Hitachi has 3. Makita has one also, may
have had the first.

Not exactly a novelty. It's great for some kinds of work. I'm currently using
the Bosch 4412, and find it nearly indispensible. Also a lot easier to use than
earlier versions.

Charlie Self
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
sure."
Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Mike Hide

Wht not get a used radial arm saw ,takes alittle more time but does the same
......mjh

--

wrote in message
news
The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?

Why is that? Is it just a novelty?

i've "almost" bought a used RAS several times

i just dont see how a RAS can be accurate - as someone noted the move
"bells" the more room for error. i can appreciate at that line of
thought as it applies to dual bevel (but if it rotates right, it would
seem minimal to also rotate left). but a ras is a whole new pot of
stew. there's that long arm.. and a tilt mechanism on the motor...
just cannot be that accurate.

i'll stick with a scms/cms and my crosscut box on ts

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:48:14 GMT, "Mike Hide"
wrote:

Wht not get a used radial arm saw ,takes alittle more time but does the same
.....mjh

well... while I only have 1 now.. Hitachi 8.5" SCMS, I'd be looking to
sell it and pick up the dual bevel.. probably the Dewalt 706. The Hit
goes for 360, and I have a Forrest blade on it. Maybe I can get $370
for it? Dunno.. but I cannot afford to have both.