Charles Harris

Default metric miter slots

I recently came into a "buffalo" tablesaw what was missing a miter
gauge. Everthing on the saw seems to be fine except for the miter
slots on the table. The miter slots on this tablesaw seems to be just
shy of 3/4" in width. The depth does seem to match 3/8" but a
standard size miter guage will just not fit in the slot. Does anyone
know of a place or website that I can purchase sliders that will fit
this slot so I can retrofit a miter guage to work with the saw?

I called the manufacturer of the saw and they said that they no longer
carry parts for it so buying a new one from the factory is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles
Mike in Mystic

You can make a miter sled with hardwood runners to fit the slots. I suppose
you could take a miter gauge and remove the miter bar and replace it with a
hardwood runner that you made as well. Shouldn't be too tough.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Charles Harris" wrote in message
om...
I recently came into a "buffalo" tablesaw what was missing a miter
gauge. Everthing on the saw seems to be fine except for the miter
slots on the table. The miter slots on this tablesaw seems to be just
shy of 3/4" in width. The depth does seem to match 3/8" but a
standard size miter guage will just not fit in the slot. Does anyone
know of a place or website that I can purchase sliders that will fit
this slot so I can retrofit a miter guage to work with the saw?

I called the manufacturer of the saw and they said that they no longer
carry parts for it so buying a new one from the factory is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles

Nova

Charles Harris wrote:

I recently came into a "buffalo" tablesaw what was missing a miter
gauge. Everthing on the saw seems to be fine except for the miter
slots on the table. The miter slots on this tablesaw seems to be just
shy of 3/4" in width. The depth does seem to match 3/8" but a
standard size miter guage will just not fit in the slot. Does anyone
know of a place or website that I can purchase sliders that will fit
this slot so I can retrofit a miter guage to work with the saw?

I called the manufacturer of the saw and they said that they no longer
carry parts for it so buying a new one from the factory is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles

Many Craftsman saws have a slightly undersized miter slot. You can try
one of the Sears miter gauges. Osborne also makes a miter gauge to fit
the Sears saws, See:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/osbrnsmlslot1.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:14:10 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

You can make a miter sled with hardwood runners to fit the slots. I suppose
you could take a miter gauge and remove the miter bar and replace it with a
hardwood runner that you made as well. Shouldn't be too tough.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Charles Harris" wrote in message
. com...
I recently came into a "buffalo" tablesaw what was missing a miter
gauge. Everthing on the saw seems to be fine except for the miter
slots on the table. The miter slots on this tablesaw seems to be just
shy of 3/4" in width. The depth does seem to match 3/8" but a
standard size miter guage will just not fit in the slot. Does anyone
know of a place or website that I can purchase sliders that will fit
this slot so I can retrofit a miter guage to work with the saw?

I called the manufacturer of the saw and they said that they no longer
carry parts for it so buying a new one from the factory is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles

Or...measure the exact width of the slot, then, go to
Sears and measure the size of their miter gauge bar. The
fact that their miter bars are slightly under 3/4" is
a continual annoyance to those that want to "upgrade" the
miter gauge on the saw, but, might be a blessing in
disguise for you.
Alternatively, you could take it to a machine
shop, and, have the slots widened to 3/4".
Alternatively, you could get a miter gauge with
a 3/4" bar and carefully grind the bar to fit the slot.
If the top had enough meat to it, I would be inclined to
have the slots widened. However, you could probably
grind the bar down at home....and it WOULD be cheaper.
I would strongly recommend, though, that you take half
the difference off each side, to ensure that the pivot
point for the gauge will remain centered on the bar.
Regards
Dave Mundt

JackD

have the slots widened. However, you could probably
grind the bar down at home....and it WOULD be cheaper.
I would strongly recommend, though, that you take half
the difference off each side, to ensure that the pivot
point for the gauge will remain centered on the bar.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Why does it need to be centered on the bar? I mean, it is going to be within
a 1/8" of the center anyway? It should make no difference at all where the
pivot point is since the gauge is not pivoting when you use it anyway.

Better instead to just grind one side so you at least have one "factory"
edge to it. It will save you trouble.

-Jack

Charles Harris

From what I have seen so far, The machine shops said it would tricky
to get the table mounted to the milling machine due to its size. I think
I am going to opt for buy the stock already milled to the correct size.

What I found that was interesting that I wanted to share with everyone is
that the dimensions of the miter slots were 18mm X 9mm. I say it was
interesting as that ratio is the same as the standard slots.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:11:24 -0700, David Hall wrote:

(Charles Harris) wrote in message . com...
I recently came into a "buffalo" tablesaw what was missing a miter
gauge. Everthing on the saw seems to be fine except for the miter
slots on the table. The miter slots on this tablesaw seems to be just
shy of 3/4" in width. The depth does seem to match 3/8" but a
standard size miter guage will just not fit in the slot. Does anyone
know of a place or website that I can purchase sliders that will fit
this slot so I can retrofit a miter guage to work with the saw?

I called the manufacturer of the saw and they said that they no longer
carry parts for it so buying a new one from the factory is out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles

You might check with Shopsmith. Their miter slot is just less than
3/4" - I believe it is 11/16ths - they sell a reasonable miter guage.
Their miter bars have an adjustment set-screw that allows the bar to
be adjusted to a tight fit. The bar for the model 510/520 is for a
T-slot miter and the bar for the 500 is for a non-T application (the
only difference is a "washer" attached to the 510/520 bar). If it
fits, they have a pletora of Incra products desined to fit the
Shopsmith miter slots on their web catalog.

www.shopsmith.com

Dave Hall
I own one, but am otherwise unaffiliated