Morris Dovey

Default miter box - dual bevel - worth it?

wrote:

i just dont see how a RAS can be accurate - as someone noted the move
"bells" the more room for error. i can appreciate at that line of
thought as it applies to dual bevel (but if it rotates right, it would
seem minimal to also rotate left). but a ras is a whole new pot of
stew. there's that long arm.. and a tilt mechanism on the motor...
just cannot be that accurate.

Actually it can - but, like most tools, a RAS doesn't get that
way by accident. I use framing and machinist's (with a protractor
head) squares to set mine up - and it consistantly does a first
rate job.

This doesn't take anything away from other saw types - but if I
had to choose between a SCMS and a RAS, then the RAS would be my
first choice.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA