Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Am I missing something here?

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...e-forge-076215

On the website Apartment Therapy, they're running a buncha photos
about a Pittsburgh bunch called the Urban Tree Forge. their mission
statement: "From Urban Tree Forge's mission statement: Being firm
believers in sustainability, our projects utilize wood from our own
urban forest or recycled from within our community. By utilizing
locally available and sustainable natural resources, we are removing
trees from our landfills, and placing salvaged wood back into a
productive life cycle. This also helps us to protect our state and
national forests by reducing our reliance on them for our urban
projects."

Sounds great. But the photos depict them cutting a nice, big silver
maple log-- a maple log perhaps three feet in diameter-- into big, two
and a half foot CUBES. Solid CUBES. Which will then be shaped, mildly,
into "two solid wood chairs and two massive cube end tables."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BrianSiano" wrote in message
[...]

Whatsa matter?? Don't you recognize AHT??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 4:34*pm, BrianSiano wrote:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...s-weekend-proj...

[...]

Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
nor need.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 5:25*pm, Charlie Self wrote:
[...]

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/StrunkEB.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MC" wrote in
:

Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
nor need.

Yup... If they won't conserve syllables, why should we expect them to
conserve anything else?

Think of all the CO2 they wouldn't release into the atmosphere if they'd
just shut up!

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MC wrote:
: Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
: mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
: nor need.

: Yup... If they won't conserve syllables, why should we expect them to conserve anything else?

Yeah, and we all know how scarce syllables are getting nowadays.

Andy Barss (who thinks most style guides are written by pompous idiots)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/StrunkEB.jpg

It's largely a waste of paper, and the reader's time.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/id..._of_the_l.html
http://158.130.17.5/~myl/languagelog...es/000994.html
http://158.130.17.5/~myl/languagelog...es/001604.html
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/001803.html

Enjoy!

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
MC wrote:
: Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
: mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
: nor need.

: Yup... If they won't conserve syllables, why should we expect them to conserve anything else?

Yeah, and we all know how scarce syllables are getting nowadays.

Not to mention punctuation. Why,just last week my keyboard ran out of
semicolons. Fortunately I was able to carve some more out of some cherry
scraps I had lying around.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DT DT is offline

In article
,
says...
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...d-project-with
-ur
ban-tree-forge-076215

[...]

Well, it does say, "The massive silver maple used in this particular project
came from Pittsburgh's Allegheny Cemetery. The cemetery removes old and
damaged trees and leaves them in a large pile unused. This log represents a
small fraction of material to be reclaimed in the cemetery..."

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com says...
"MC" wrote in
:

Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
nor need.

Yup... If they won't conserve syllables, why should we expect them to
conserve anything else?

Think of all the CO2 they wouldn't release into the atmosphere if they'd
just shut up!

Same amount of cO2. ...just a little cooler.

Rain missing gutter due to rotten/missing felt [email protected] UK diy 6 December 16th 08 05:26 PM
Missing Tim Taylor[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 3rd 08 10:52 PM
What would I be missing? Olebiker Woodturning 12 November 30th 06 07:09 AM
Am I missing something RayV Woodworking 7 March 17th 06 04:19 AM
missing insulation Cool Papa Bell Home Ownership 4 February 19th 05 10:19 PM