Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Am I missing something here?

On Feb 10, 5:25*pm, Charlie Self wrote:
On Feb 10, 4:34*pm, BrianSiano wrote:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chic...s-weekend-proj...

On the website Apartment Therapy, they're running a buncha photos
about a Pittsburgh bunch called the Urban Tree Forge. their mission
statement: "From Urban Tree Forge's mission statement: Being firm
believers in sustainability, our projects utilize wood from our own
urban forest or recycled from within our community. By utilizing
locally available and sustainable natural resources, we are removing
trees from our landfills, and placing salvaged wood back into a
productive life cycle. This also helps us to protect our state and
national forests by reducing our reliance on them for our urban
projects."

Sounds great. But the photos depict them cutting a nice, big silver
maple log-- a maple log perhaps three feet in diameter-- into big, two
and a half foot CUBES. Solid CUBES. Which will then be shaped, mildly,
into "two solid wood chairs and two massive cube end tables."

Keep in mind that anyone who twice in a paragraph uses "utilize" to
mean "use" is probably trying to sell you something you neither want
nor need.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/StrunkEB.jpg