Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Default Am I missing something

I'm looking for a rail & stile bit set and this seems like a good price
but no specs for the bits. The 1/4" spec seems to indicate this set
and similar are for 3/4" stock.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564

Are these any good? A brief search makes this look like a good buy.

Can I run that monster bit in a PC693VS?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a rail & stile bit set and this seems like a good price
but no specs for the bits. The 1/4" spec seems to indicate this set
and similar are for 3/4" stock.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564

Are these any good? A brief search makes this look like a good buy.

Can I run that monster bit in a PC693VS?

Define " a good buy".

Probably a good deal for one or two times use.

This is about half the price you need to pay for a set that will start
giving you any mileage.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a rail & stile bit set and this seems like a good price
but no specs for the bits. The 1/4" spec seems to indicate this set
and similar are for 3/4" stock.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564

Are these any good? A brief search makes this look like a good buy.

Can I run that monster bit in a PC693VS?

I would keep looking. A 1/2" shank would be much better.
You can run the panel raising bit in a PC693 if you make several passes at
it. Big bits like that work much better in the really big routers.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

The bits are 1/2" shank. I meant this 1/4" spec.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564/images/1

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
The bits are 1/2" shank. I meant this 1/4" spec.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564/images/1

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
That 1/4 groove is typical for 3/4" stock.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On 15 Mar 2006 07:13:20 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

I'm looking for a rail & stile bit set and this seems like a good price
but no specs for the bits. The 1/4" spec seems to indicate this set
and similar are for 3/4" stock.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5564

Are these any good? A brief search makes this look like a good buy.

Can I run that monster bit in a PC693VS?

Can't answer your question about the router, but this appears to be
the same set at a much better price:

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=30&page=1

I have a couple of holbren bits and they're as good as any other. And
I know that the carbide on the holbren bits is 3/32" thick.
Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Thanks! For $40 I'm willing to give them a shot. I still ocassionaly
use the cheap carbide bits I bought from sears years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry St.Pierre

"RayV" wrote in news:1142513533.974676.66870
@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! For $40 I'm willing to give them a shot. I still ocassionaly
use the cheap carbide bits I bought from sears years ago.

Years ago, the SEARS carbide bits were very good. I still have some from
the middle seventies.
Hank