Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rain missing gutter due to rotten/missing felt

Last year John Wayne, Alan Ladd, James Stewart and a few of their
cronies came and did some work on our house.

One of the things they did was to replace the knackered gutters and
downpipes. However, the felt that (I assume, not being a roofer) is
supposed to protrude from beneath the tiles and lap over the edge of
the gutter was rotten, and wasn't replaced. The gutter is not
reliably immediately below the edge of the tiles, so in places the
rain tends to drip off the roof and fall directly onto the wall below.

We're all out of cash, so I'm looking for a cheap and reasonably long-
lasting solution. One thing I've considered is to insert lengths of
(say) damp proof membrane underneath the last course or two of tiles,
and lap it over the gutter.

However, is there a better solution?

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Last year John Wayne, Alan Ladd, James Stewart and a few of their
cronies came and did some work on our house.

One of the things they did was to replace the knackered gutters and
downpipes. However, the felt that (I assume, not being a roofer) is
supposed to protrude from beneath the tiles and lap over the edge of
the gutter was rotten, and wasn't replaced. The gutter is not
reliably immediately below the edge of the tiles, so in places the
rain tends to drip off the roof and fall directly onto the wall below.

The felt is not meant to do that (although it does sometimes). The gutter
*is* meant to be "reliably under the tile edge", though.

We're all out of cash, so I'm looking for a cheap and reasonably long-
lasting solution. One thing I've considered is to insert lengths of
(say) damp proof membrane underneath the last course or two of tiles,
and lap it over the gutter.

Well, it won't do any harm

However, is there a better solution?

Adjust/refit the gutter, I'm afraid

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Dec, 09:35, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I've spoken to the supplier of the guttering
(Lindab) and their rep is due to call to see how best to sort it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
writes
Last year John Wayne, Alan Ladd, James Stewart and a few of their
cronies came and did some work on our house.

One of the things they did was to replace the knackered gutters and
downpipes. However, the felt that (I assume, not being a roofer) is
supposed to protrude from beneath the tiles and lap over the edge of
the gutter was rotten, and wasn't replaced. The gutter is not
reliably immediately below the edge of the tiles, so in places the
rain tends to drip off the roof and fall directly onto the wall below.

We're all out of cash, so I'm looking for a cheap and reasonably long-
lasting solution. One thing I've considered is to insert lengths of
(say) damp proof membrane underneath the last course or two of tiles,
and lap it over the gutter.

These are intended for this job:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36622/

They're meant to be fitted under the felt so that any leakage past the
tiles runs off the felt, onto the tray and then into the gutter. Fitting
is easiest before the tiles go on but a retrofit with you just lifting
the tiles shouldn't be too bad. The weight of the tiles may be enough to
hold them but a self tapper into the gutter would make it more secure.

As you appear to have had the bad bunch out, I don't imagine there's any
risk of the tile fronts being clipped down.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
These are intended for this job:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36622/

They're meant to be fitted under the felt so that any leakage past the
tiles runs off the felt, onto the tray and then into the gutter. Fitting
is easiest before the tiles go on but a retrofit with you just lifting
the tiles shouldn't be too bad. The weight of the tiles may be enough to
hold them but a self tapper into the gutter would make it more secure.

As you appear to have had the bad bunch out, I don't imagine there's any
risk of the tile fronts being clipped down.

I've never found a house with the bottom row of tiles nailed down
(and usually, no rows are nailed down except possibly on the edge).

I've fitted these by sliding the bottom row of tiles up under the
row above. Then slide the support tray under the felt. You may need
to trim the lip on the tray so the tray rests on the rafters, and isn't
being propped up by the gutter. Hold the tray in position with a nail
or screw into each rafter near the top edge of the tray. (Lift the
felt to do this -- don't put the nail/screw through the felt.) I used
galvanized roofing felt nails as I had them handy at the time, and the
top doesn't have any sharp edges to tear the felt. Don't fix them to
the gutters, or you'll have problems with differential expansion and
you'll curse if you ever want to take the gutters down.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
fred writes:
These are intended for this job:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36622/

They're meant to be fitted under the felt so that any leakage past the
tiles runs off the felt, onto the tray and then into the gutter. Fitting
is easiest before the tiles go on but a retrofit with you just lifting
the tiles shouldn't be too bad. The weight of the tiles may be enough to
hold them but a self tapper into the gutter would make it more secure.

As you appear to have had the bad bunch out, I don't imagine there's any
risk of the tile fronts being clipped down.

I've never found a house with the bottom row of tiles nailed down
(and usually, no rows are nailed down except possibly on the edge).

Ah, the joys of shandy land ;-). Ooop 'ere is testing land for roofing
systems and if it ain't nailed down it doesn't stay on.

Don't fix them to
the gutters, or you'll have problems with differential expansion and
you'll curse if you ever want to take the gutters down.

The gutter suggestion was a last resort, limited access to fix from the
top, too far from the soffit so what's left.
--
fred

Missing Tim Taylor[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 3rd 08 10:52 PM
What would I be missing? Olebiker Woodturning 12 November 30th 06 07:09 AM
OT Missing Posts The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 November 23rd 06 08:17 AM
Am I missing something RayV Woodworking 7 March 17th 06 04:19 AM
missing insulation Cool Papa Bell Home Ownership 4 February 19th 05 10:19 PM