Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steel City Air Scrubber

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a unit to clean the air in the
shop, in addition to my Dust Collector. Since Steel City has a nice unit
on sale, I decided to go for it.

When the unit arrived all looked good. Unpacked the unit and read the
instructions. Removed the packing foam and started to install the hanging
eye bolts. Someone had gotten a little carried away in putting the screws
into the eye bolt holes (why screws you have to remove to install the eye
bolt? Probably to seal the unit if you do not used the bolts.) One of the
fittings came lose in the unit, but the eye bolt would still install and
snug down with the locking nut (pinch fashion). The instructions said to
mount it at least seven feet above the floor and since it weights about 55
pounds, I hooked up the coffin hoist and attached it to the eyebolts. The
mountings for two of the four eye bolts bent in the sheet metal, but did
not come out. But while I had it hanging, and before I got it in the final
location, I hit the power button. The squirrel cage was jammed against the
housing. I checked the motor mount and it had been hit hard enough to bend
it, though the box did not show any impact damage. I gently straightened
the motor mount and hit the switch. The squirrel cage spun free but had a
rather severe vibration.

At this point, I called the folks I bought it from and (this is the good
part of the story) got a treatment you would not believe.

Woodworker's Supply not only changed out the unit but sent a pick up via UPS
and will send the replacement unit as soon as it is in stock, probably
tomorrow.

Bottom line, the unit is probably good, but very fragile (case is made of
much too thin a gauge metal). DO NOT hoist it by the eye bolts. As far as
mounting it by them once you get it lifted up to the mounting point, don't
know, haven't gotten that far. I do know that when the replacement
arrives, I will bench test it and IF it passes I will gently lift it into
position and let it sit on a couple of 1x6's. The eye bolts will stay in
the bag.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote

[...]

I have had similar experiences. An alternative mounting method is to use
vinyl coverd cable or nylon straps. I have done both.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a unit to clean the air in
the
shop, in addition to my Dust Collector. Since Steel City has a nice unit
on sale, I decided to go for it.

snip

Bottom line, the unit is probably good, but very fragile (case is made of
much too thin a gauge metal). DO NOT hoist it by the eye bolts. As far
as
mounting it by them once you get it lifted up to the mounting point, don't
know, haven't gotten that far. I do know that when the replacement
arrives, I will bench test it and IF it passes I will gently lift it into
position and let it sit on a couple of 1x6's. The eye bolts will stay in
the bag.

Interesting and topical ... I got a Wilton for Christmas that has been
sitting on the shop bench since. The instructions sound eerily identical
(probably made in the same factory). My plan was to install it tomorrow,
which is really the first opportunity since I've been more out of town, than
in, lately.

I'll be taking your experience into account while doing so.

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Deb, Others,
When I installed my Delta "air freshener" a few years ago I was lucky
enough to have saved the shipping crate that my 8 inch jointer came
in. It was the perfect height and sturdy enough to use as a staging
platform for attaching the eyebolts to the chains hanging from my
joists. I steadied the crate to the adjacent wall with a firring
strip and setthe air cleaner on top , and within a few minutes had it
hanging securely.
Not everyone will have the right size shipping crate on hand but as
you cited, 2X 6 and maybe a little plywood and you're good to go.
Does the Steel city have a remote? I stopped using my remote so I
need to give my air cleaner the high five now when I operate it.
Marc

On Feb 8, 10:01*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 9:11*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote

[...]

I've had the Grizzly unit for 8 or so years. I'm re-mounting it soon.
Previously it hung on chains
and there was some vibration transmission. Did you notice a
difference in vibration transmission
between the straps and the cable? I don't have much vibration but if
using straps will deaden it
further that may be the way to go.

hex
-30-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

difference in vibration transmission
between the straps and the cable? I don't have much vibration but if
using straps will deaden it
further that may be the way to go.

How about plastic wrapped steel cable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I've had the Grizzly unit for 8 or so years. I'm re-mounting it soon.
Previously it hung on chains
and there was some vibration transmission. Did you notice a
difference in vibration transmission
between the straps and the cable? I don't have much vibration but if
using straps will deaden it
further that may be the way to go.
=================================

I haven't really tested one hanging method over another in terms of
vibration. Perhaps a spring installed on the chain/cable?

I was speaking in terms of installing many things with the cable/straps. I
have a cable cutter, swaging tool, cable and swages. Soooooo......, that is
what I use and is an easy solution for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have three in my shop and they are all hanging from
dog chain and eye hooks. Delta 50-860's and that's
the way they recommended hanging them.

Since Steel City is a bunch of ex-Delta folks, I
would expect a VERY similar product. If they are
bending that easy, I would consider a different
product.

http://www.amazon.com/JDS-750-ER-Fil.../dp/B0000302XS
http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10...4210163&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-AP200-Sh...4210163&sr=1-4

One thing I noticed in all those descriptions.... Some of
them are called "bench top" air cleaners...

Is that Steel City a "bench top" per chance ?

I notice Woodworkers is also no longer carrying that product line ???

Dr. Deb wrote:

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a unit to clean the air in the
shop, in addition to my Dust Collector. Since Steel City has a nice unit
on sale, I decided to go for it.

Snipped the bad part.

Steel City Equipment? k Woodworking 22 March 5th 08 07:39 AM
anyone know of anyone that's actually used a Steel City Toolworksbandsaw? Chris Friesen Woodworking 7 November 21st 06 10:42 PM
My new Steel City Saw vs. KingKong Bob Woodworking 5 September 21st 06 03:22 PM
Steel City Tablesaw Bob Woodworking 0 August 25th 06 10:19 PM
Steel City Toolworks? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 5 August 19th 06 05:29 AM