Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steel City Toolworks?

Has anyone seen the new SteelCity toolworks tools? Ran across an ad in
Fine Woodworking, they look like older Delta machines. Went to their
website: www.steelcitytoolworks.com, but they don't really have any
information up yet, "pending delivery to distributors". They indicate that
they have been at IWF shows. Has anybody had a chance to look? Are they
domestically manufactured, or mostly another Chiwanese tool distributor?
They indicate on the website that they manufacture and import tools, I was
wondering what the relative percentage distribution is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita writes:

Has anyone seen the new SteelCity toolworks tools? Ran across an ad in
Fine Woodworking, they look like older Delta machines. Went to their
website: www.steelcitytoolworks.com, but they don't really have any
information up yet, "pending delivery to distributors". They indicate that
they have been at IWF shows. Has anybody had a chance to look? Are they
domestically manufactured, or mostly another Chiwanese tool distributor?

Don't know. I suspect it Chiwanese - with careful review of specifications.

The article is found he

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320
Here is a quote:

Plans for innovation

Dust Collector - Most of the innovation so far at Steel City is in the
business plan, not tool development. In order to get a full line to
market at launch, the partners said they had to delay some of their
plans for new features. Their initial product line will include
standard tool designs where the patents have run out.

There have been a few product improvements, however. Cast-iron
tablesaw trunnions and welded steel bandsaw frames have been beefed
up, dust ports and fences have been redesigned, and washable 1-micron
bags are standard on dust collectors. The tools are also highly
adjustable. For example, the company's bandsaw wheels can be adjusted
in every plane.

Steel City's first attempt to grab headlines is a rust-free saw table
that is coated with titanium-nitrite, the bronze-colored coating seen
on some drill bits and saw blades. With a surface hardness greater
than carbide and just short of diamond, it is designed to eliminate
maintenance, the company said.

18 in. BandsawSteel City's tablesaw will come with a traditional
splitter and blade guard rather than a riving knife found on new
tablesaws from Powermatic and SawStop, which own patents on those
devices. Steel City executives said they are planning to create their
own patented riving-knife system in the next few years.

"We've got three more tablesaws in the works right now," Box
said. "We're looking very closely at how we can offer the safest
possible product through our new designs."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

Has anyone seen the new SteelCity toolworks tools? Ran across an ad in
Fine Woodworking, they look like older Delta machines. Went to their
website: www.steelcitytoolworks.com, but they don't really have any
information up yet, "pending delivery to distributors". They indicate
that they have been at IWF shows. Has anybody had a chance to look?
Are they domestically manufactured, or mostly another Chiwanese tool
distributor? They indicate on the website that they manufacture and
import tools, I was wondering what the relative percentage distribution
is.

The part I like is

"Though we are a new company, our investment group, led by Scott Box and
Mark Strahler have had long, distinguished careers in the machinery
industry. Strahler was VP of sales and marketing for Delta before leaving
to found Orion, a successful startup that manufactures machinery for Sears
and other retailers. Box served as director of product development for
Delta before leaving to head up the Powermatic division of the WMH Tool
Group, owner of the Jet, Powermatic and Wilton brands.

Together, they have been actively involved in every aspect of the
woodworking machinery business and have built an extensive network of the
best suppliers and manufacturing connections in Taiwan and mainland China.
We also currently have an extended staff of 15 seasoned professionals, with
an average of 26 years of experience in the business, along with an
enthusiastic team of support employees"

One article at FWW says this:

"Steel City's first attempt to grab headlines is a rust-free saw table that
is coated with titanium-nitrite, the bronze-colored coating seen on some
drill bits and saw blades. With a surface hardness greater than carbide and
just short of diamond, it is designed to eliminate maintenance, the company
said."

Now TiN on a tablesaw would be interesting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:29:47 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, that seems to speak to more of the same.

.... snip

"Steel City's first attempt to grab headlines is a rust-free saw table that
is coated with titanium-nitrite, the bronze-colored coating seen on some
drill bits and saw blades. With a surface hardness greater than carbide and
just short of diamond, it is designed to eliminate maintenance, the company
said."

Now TiN on a tablesaw would be interesting.

Wonder what the long-term durability is? Is it subject to chipping or
eventual weal (depending upon how thin the coating is)? On the other
hand, if done right, it sounds like a really good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Wonder what the long-term durability is? Is it subject to chipping or
eventual weal (depending upon how thin the coating is)? On the other
hand, if done right, it sounds like a really good idea.

What if the table isn't flat? Would it be harder to re-grind it to
flat with that coating?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

No. Touch it with a grinding wheel and the coating is gone.