Posted to rec.woodworking

Default anyone know of anyone that's actually used a Steel City Toolworksbandsaw?

I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels
adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't
seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.

Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels
adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't
seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.

Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?

Chris

I haven't used one, but several (at least two) mags have reviewed their
line of tools and gave it a generic big thumbs up. They say the company
emphasizes the basics over bells and whistles. Supposedly the company
was founded by former Jet and Delta people that were tired of seeing
the business become nothing but an exercise in cost reduction.

Might be a good time to get one of their products. If they are even 1/4
as good as their hype, I can see them getting a big reputation and the
prices rising accordingly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:09:29 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels
adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't
seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.

Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?

Chris

Saw one at the Atlanta show this past summer. Have not used it.

Individuals who run and make up the company are top notch, best in the
industry.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:

I haven't used one, but several (at least two) mags have reviewed their
line of tools and gave it a generic big thumbs up.

I like their new Drill Press after checking it out locally. One of the
attractions for me is the 6" quill stroke.

I haven't seen a Steel City band saw in person, but if it's like the
ones I have seen, it's worth a close look.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

I'd never heard of Steel City Tools before so I checked out their
website - very nice looking tools. I have to say, though, being from
Pittsburgh, I am dissapointed that they don't even have a distributer
anywhere near the "Steel City" area!! I wonder how they came up with
their name...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Nov 2006 10:47:19 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

I'd never heard of Steel City Tools before so I checked out their
website - very nice looking tools. I have to say, though, being from
Pittsburgh, I am dissapointed that they don't even have a distributer
anywhere near the "Steel City" area!! I wonder how they came up with
their name...

Steel City evolved from Orion, based in Pittsburgh. The President and
much of the original staff are from Pittsburgh.

They are in the process of carefully setting up distribution. I'm
sure Pittsburgh will come.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels
adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't
seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.

Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?

Chris

I purchased a small cabinet saw from Steel City recently and was
impressed at it's quality. Until I found the fence slightly warped.
Called customer service one time and had a replacement in 5 days,
didn't even have to send the warped one back. Needless to say I shall
purchase more of their tools in the future. By the way, the bandsaw
looked well made but I didn't get to operate it. Did operate their
floor standing drill press which is next on my list.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was
planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall
discounts.

Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels
adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't
seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.

Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?

Chris

Ok, I saw one of these in the store this past weekend.. Didn't get a
chance to fondle it, but
it looks like a nice machine. The fence seems a lot better than my
Rikon. It has roller bearing blade guides, and a foot brake.

I know that's not a whole lot of information, but it looks quite
impressive.