Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Shop in the Sky

I know this thread has been bandied about before, but I'm looking for
some fresh ideas.

I was working with my lawyer the other day, and we were putting together
my will. She asked if there were separate items that I wanted to put on
an annexed list, and first to mind came my tools.

I have no immediate relatives that would have any interest in the tools,
nor do any friends fall into the tool-slut category like I do. My wife
has stated a preference that if someone gets them, they get them all and
no garage sale - it'll be a bequeathal.

I don't have tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff. But I have a
fair amount of Veritas, Stanley, etc. I also have a decent number of
power tools.

So, who gets the bundle? My first thought was a high school, but I doubt
they'd have much interest. Where I grew up, there was a home for wayward
boys. My dad used to employ them to do odd jobs around the house. If
there is such a place around here, that might also be an idea. I briefly
entertained the idea of a lottery but dismissed that for a few reasons.

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Excellent question!

I'm looking forward to reading the responses myself.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tanus wrote:
I don't have tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff. But I have a
fair amount of Veritas, Stanley, etc. I also have a decent number of
power tools.

So, who gets the bundle? My first thought was a high school, but I doubt
they'd have much interest. Where I grew up, there was a home for wayward
boys. My dad used to employ them to do odd jobs around the house. If
there is such a place around here, that might also be an idea. I briefly
entertained the idea of a lottery but dismissed that for a few reasons.

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Guess I'd ask how far in the future one might think this could be...my
thinking here is if fairly far along in the process it might make sense
to find some particular organization as you mention but if this is some
far off long-time planning there's really good chance whoever you pick
won't be around then, anyway, or their interests are completely different.

I don't have any particular ideas; it's such a personal thing of one's
particular interests, circle of organizations w/ which one has been/is
involved, etc., etc., etc., it would seem basically others' choices
might have little to do with it.

Only specific idea I would have if no strong candidate would be one of
the charities that either does disaster relief or self-help that isn't
particularly plush and might make use of the stuff to stock their
facilities.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in news:fmjjl.12608$D32.5889
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Tanus wrote:

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Excellent question!

I'm looking forward to reading the responses myself.

A question I'm wrestling with also. Daughter has a great SO, but not a
shop guy. My son could be, but is mobile and now living in a small
apartment in SF.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:02:43 -0500, Tanus wrote:

If your wife isn't concerned about the value, etc., I'd think maybe youth or
scout group?
Maybe some organization like Habitat?

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:02:43 -0500, Tanus wrote:

So, who gets the bundle? My first thought was a high school, but I doubt
they'd have much interest. Where I grew up, there was a home for wayward
boys. My dad used to employ them to do odd jobs around the house. If
there is such a place around here, that might also be an idea. I briefly
entertained the idea of a lottery but dismissed that for a few reasons.

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

That's a good question.
My Dad passed away last year and he had an assortment of woodworking
tools. For the last several years of his life he volunteered at the
local aviation museum restoring old airplanes. We asked the director
if they might have a need for some of the tools at the museum. He
brought a couple of the shop guys over and they picked what they
wanted. They were glad to have the tools and I think Dad would be
happy about it too. Dad's table saw is still being used in their
shop.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
[...]

If you're like Mekon and enjoy or are involved in a theater group, that
might be a place for your tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 12:02*pm, Tanus wrote:
[...]

I would have an auction house sell the lot and have the proceeds
donated to the charity of my choice.
That way, whoever buys the lot, wants the stuff enough to pay for it.
The bidders have to understand where the money is going to go.
I have been making some trinkets (Scrap munched on by my CNC) for
silent auctions which raise money for medical help in Haiti. House
numbers and pet-dishes.
The money raised, is taken to Haiti by the local doctors and nurses
themselves, so there is no administrative waste.

Boxes of tools sometimes end up sitting idle.... that'd be a waste
too.

Most hospitals have somebody on staff who can coordinate something
like a silent auction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Personally I would not worry about it. When you are gone, you are gone.
Let those left behind decide what to do with the tools. A lot can change
between now and then. UNLESS you have something specific in mind which is
sounds like you don't.

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

I would give at least some consideration to: http://www.habitat.org/

These are good folks, IME, deserving of support in most locales, and worthy
of consideration for some, or all, of your bequeathed "stuff" ... and more
to the point regarding tools, and also for you penurious types, their
"re-stores" can be an excellent place to find used tools at reasonable
prices.

What goes around comes around. For the past six years I've taken to calling
them at end of a house project and donating all usable, leftover material.
Recently, while in Austin, I visited their "Austin Re-Store" and saved over
$1300 on donated Simpson hangers needed for a new project.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

You could send all the stuff to me.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

" Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Tanus

I hate the thought of my tools setting around rusting and not used, so the
wife and I have agreed to offer the kids any thing they want and the rest to
be auctioned off to some one who wants it and the money going to the estate.
I know that some of my favorite tools have gone that route a few times in
their life and see nothing wrong with it.

My mother refused to give up my dads shop for about 25 years and nobody got
any good out of the tools and when I did get some of them they were hardly
better then scrap metal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:

Given similar circumstances that I have, what would you do?

Order a 16' x 24' x 8' coffin so I can be buried with my tools? Well, at
least the Stanley planes owned by my father and grandfather before me. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
[...]

If I was you, I'd give them to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Curran Copeland" wrote in message
I hate the thought of my tools setting around rusting and not used, so the
wife and I have agreed to offer the kids any thing they want and the rest

be auctioned off to some one who wants it and the money going to the

estate.

I approve of you organizing now where they'd go. When my father died, I was
living in an apartment and couldn't take his tools. I did rent a storage
space for four years, but that was full and still there were tools I
couldn't take. The house was eventually torn down and all the tools I
couldn't take were moved out all in a single day and I don't have a clue
where they went. And that, bothers me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm reminded of Jack Benny's great line - "If I can't take it with me, I'm
NOT GOING"!

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hre's where I think I would donate them.James Krenov ran the program back 15 or so years ago.They could go to students that could use them and take very good care of them.Well worth the donation.All worth it for poorer studentS. Well worth the Tax write off.
Here's the link to the site.
http://www.crfinefurniture.com/default.html
Hope you donate to them.They WILL take care of your tools and tweek them or tune them to perfection! Been there done that!
PLEASE Donate to them or, strongly consider it.
High School students don't learn how to sharpen the right way ,by using way out flat Oil stones like with a BIG dish in the midddle |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||
"Tanus" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:02:43 -0500, Tanus cast forth these pearls of
wisdom...:

[...]

One thought that came to me is that I would tell my wife to place an ad in
the local paper advertising craftsman tools (or another equally descriptive
name since craftsman would be a bit misleading), or craftsman shop sale,
serious inquiries only. Indicate the buyer would be buying the entire shop.
That would likely weed out a lot of calls. The first person that was
serious enough to show up and look at the tools gets the surprise of his
life as the wife tells him their his - get 'em outa here.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Habitat for Humanity. Your tools will go on for decades doing good
work. (Might even take a century off your time in Purgatory!)

Leave a note with your will to have whomever you give them to to give
a letter acknowledging the cash value of the tools. This can be used
to document the contribution for purposes of tax deduction. SWMBO
will think of you kindly on April 15.

Clothing is usually valued at $100 per 30 gallon bagful. (Extra
points if you can fill one completely with plaid shirts.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

KIMOSABE wrote:
Habitat for Humanity. Your tools will go on for decades doing good
work. (Might even take a century off your time in Purgatory!)

Leave a note with your will to have whomever you give them to to give
a letter acknowledging the cash value of the tools. This can be used
to document the contribution for purposes of tax deduction. SWMBO
will think of you kindly on April 15.

Clothing is usually valued at $100 per 30 gallon bagful. (Extra
points if you can fill one completely with plaid shirts.)

A topic like this always brings out some really interesting suggestions,
including the one to do nothing from Leon. Ultimately that's not what I
want to do, but it's still worth considering.

Two ideas really appeal to me. (Actually 3-the two guys who wanted me to
ship the tools to them, but I'm not dead yet.)

KIMOSABE and Swing suggested Habitat, and I'll give them a call during
the week to see what the arrangements are.

The other idea I like is from Mike Marlow. Advertise with a price high
enough to screen out the leeches and then just donate to the guy who
shows up. I"m not sure why that has a certain appeal, but it does. I
expect that SWMBO would appreciate it as well.

Thanks guys. Lots of food for thought.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message
enough to screen out the leeches and then just donate to the guy who
shows up. I"m not sure why that has a certain appeal, but it does. I
expect that SWMBO would appreciate it as well.

Well, if you decide to go that route, tell SWMBO to video the donation and
post it for all of us to see. I really like seeing the look on someone's
face when he/she realizes that they're getting for free something they
thought they'd have to pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

I also will probably have the same situation when the time comes
since retiring from my day job. I wanted to work part time for a while
in
something relating to woodworking, I went to work part time for a
couple years
in a shop making custom closets out of laminate, They hired another
guy to
work with me, He wasn't making much either, Trying to raise a family,
and was
really good at making laminate counter tops, and commercial European
cabinets, He wanted to build things from real wood, but could not
afford
to buy a good saw or any other tools.I would try to find someone like
him,
That wants to do woodworking but cannot afford to buy the tools but
knows
how to use and take care of them.
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote

to buy a good saw or any other tools.I would try to find someone like him,
That wants to do woodworking but cannot afford to buy the tools but knows
how to use and take care of them.

My wife has instructions to seek out, and give my '62 Fender Jazz Bass to a
young, talented, and dedicated musician who can't afford a good axe.

The worst fate I can imagine for a vintage instrument, or tool, is to go to
a "collector" ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
dpb wrote:
Only specific idea I would have if no strong candidate would be one of
the charities that either does disaster relief or self-help that isn't
particularly plush and might make use of the stuff to stock their
facilities.

Those were my thoughts.

Since I retired I spend two days a week as a volunteer working with a
charity, which collects and refurbishes old and unwanted tools and sewing
machines, and ships them out to Africa and similar places. Some stuff is
too far gone to do anything with and many files in particular are worn out
and rusted but we can get the cash for their scrap value and that helps to
pay for our rent and the shipping costs.

There ya' go...

I saw the other response about someone's father volunteered at their
local air museum. To emphasize the personal nature, there's a very good
air museum here as well that could likely make use of at least some of
such a donation either directly or as a money-maker and I never thought
of it (and never would) because I'm involved elsewhere, not in it.

The OP has to find something that intrigues him, specifically....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toys for Tots

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
KIMOSABE wrote:
[...]

What I ended up doing was attaching a document to the will with my
wishes. They state that Habitat can come out and take everything. What
they don't think they can use, they can do whatever they want with.

I talked to Habitat and this is something they've done before. They'll
issue a tax receipt as well. I'm really happy to have this behind me and
not have to think about it anymore.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

I talked to Habitat and this is something they've done before. They'll
issue a tax receipt as well. I'm really happy to have this behind me and
not have to think about it anymore.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown ... you did good!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

You're a good man, Charlie Brown ... you did good!

Amen to that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote
What I ended up doing was attaching a document to the will with my wishes.
They state that Habitat can come out and take everything. What they don't
think they can use, they can do whatever they want with.

I talked to Habitat and this is something they've done before. They'll
issue a tax receipt as well. I'm really happy to have this behind me and
not have to think about it anymore.

Sound like a good deal all around. Good people get the tools and the estate
is simpler with a tax deduction as well. Any your heart is in the right
place. Good on ya!

Do you think if I did something similar, that I could maybe sneak by St
Peter??

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Do you think if I did something similar, that I could maybe sneak by St
Peter??

You mean, pull a fast one on Sky Fairy who discerns your inherently good
nature and intentions through your every action? I don't know! It does seem
a paradox, though.