Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Orange Oil as a Finish?

Orange oil has become popular for cleaning and preserving furniture
and many things wood. I have seen it listed as being usable on even
bare wood. Can it be used as an oil finish? Has anyone used it?
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
Orange oil has become popular for cleaning and preserving furniture
and many things wood. I have seen it listed as being usable on even
bare wood. Can it be used as an oil finish? Has anyone used it?
`Casper

Yes you can, you can use most anything for a finish. The question you need
to ask yourself is what do you wan the finish to do. Orange oil will not
add much protection so much as it will make the surface look a bit more
shiny.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes you can, you can use most anything for a finish. The question you need
to ask yourself is what do you wan the finish to do. Orange oil will not
add much protection so much as it will make the surface look a bit more
shiny.
Leon

I want to bring out the grain of some pearwood and lightly protect it.
I have a lot of orange oil (lots of boxed household gifts) and
considered orange oil and beeswax (or Renaissance) as a finish.

I turned a pearwood Nostpinne. For those unfamiliar, a stick for
turning yarn into balls. So it can't be sticky but it doesn't need an
extremely protective finish. Just something light that can be
reapplied if necessary to keep it smooth.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
Yes you can, you can use most anything for a finish. The question you
need
to ask yourself is what do you wan the finish to do. Orange oil will not
add much protection so much as it will make the surface look a bit more
shiny.
Leon

I want to bring out the grain of some pearwood and lightly protect it.
I have a lot of orange oil (lots of boxed household gifts) and
considered orange oil and beeswax (or Renaissance) as a finish.

I turned a pearwood Nostpinne. For those unfamiliar, a stick for
turning yarn into balls. So it can't be sticky but it doesn't need an
extremely protective finish. Just something light that can be
reapplied if necessary to keep it smooth.

`Casper

Just about any oil can help bring out the grain and the wax help to keep it
feeling smooth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remember being told that orange oil and lemon oil are mineral oil with
color and scent added. The oil doesn't actually come from the fruit.

Mineral oil can be used on cutting boards and other kitchen utensils to give
them a little protection from water, but it has to be reapplied often.

"Casper" wrote in message
Orange oil has become popular for cleaning and preserving furniture
and many things wood. I have seen it listed as being usable on even
bare wood. Can it be used as an oil finish? Has anyone used it?
`Casper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roger amd Missy Behnke wrote:
I remember being told that orange oil and lemon oil are mineral oil with
color and scent added. The oil doesn't actually come from the fruit.

That's what I always heard, as well.

However, true lemon oil or orange oil is a real thing, called Limonene.
It's what they squeeze out of the rind, distill, and sell as fragrance
for all those orange cleaners you see everywhere.

I'm guessing there are no FDA or FTC standards for what can be called
orange oil based on a percentage content. I'm also guessing that 100
percent orange oil would probably run $50 a quart, retail. That
explains why you most often see it cut with a majority of mineral oil.
As far as I can tell from my research, orange oil and mineral oil act
the same, for all intents and purposes, besides that lovely smell.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
However, true lemon oil or orange oil is a real thing, called Limonene.
It's what they squeeze out of the rind, distill, and sell as fragrance
for all those orange cleaners you see everywhere.

Limonene is not just a fragrance it is a very useful solvent and cleaner
used for all sorts of things. It has, for example, largely displaced the
use of CFCs for cleaning printed circuit boards.

I didn't say it was just a fragrance.
But people associate citrus scent with clean. ie: "lemony fresh"
I would venture to guess that at least 90 percent of its use is as a
flagrance for other, much cheaper oils.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I suspect that the OP hasn't actually got much Limonene though - as you
say, used as a fragrance with cheaper oils.
Stuart

Exactly. Just too much of that Orange Oil wood cleaner/preserver.
Seems to work fairly well on a couple of pieces I tested it on but
have not tried it on bare wood. Thought since there is so much of it
in the house it was worth looking into as a finish oil.
`Casper

Orange Oil as a Finish? Steve Turner Woodworking 0 February 7th 09 04:51 AM
Questions on finish/no finish for INSIDE of chests G.E.R.R.Y. Woodworking 12 August 22nd 06 03:30 AM
shiny/matt patches on emulsion finish - how to get the 'mattest' finish [email protected] UK diy 0 February 18th 06 12:50 PM
Orange Peel Dan Major Woodworking 4 September 2nd 05 12:33 PM
Orange Agate? william kossack Woodturning 12 November 23rd 04 08:27 PM