Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Painter's Touch or Painter's Fingerprint??

I am currently painting two small tables. I had originally planned to
stain them but for several reasons decided to go with paint. I am
using Rustoleum's Painter's Touch (Espresso) and, although a little
drippy for my taste, is going on fairly well.

My question/concern is that although it appears dry, it is easy to
scratch with a fingernail. This will be an issue as these are for
laptop use. I have considered giving them a few final coats of Deft
lacquer but am now hesitant as to if this is the best choice.

The tables are made in two parts, a top and bottom half, which slide
into one another and bolt together. The two halves can be raised or
lowered for height adjustment, the bolts locking them in place. If the
paint scratches so easily now, after approximately three light coats,
I suspect it will only get worse with use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a durable finish that will not
noticeably scratch and protect the surface? Including from an
accidental fluid spill?? All suggestions welcome.

`Casper