Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default 50 ways to lose - your fingerprint?

I've managed to grind off the finger prints of several fingers while
sharpening tools, both on a Tormek and japanese waterstones.

Today, while turning "hair sticks" (the inspiration from another
thread in this group) with a bedan, I was dampening the vibration
with the the index and middle finger of my left hand, left thumb
on top of the bedan at the piece. Couple of hours later I come
in for lunch and wash my hands. Soap is a great way to find
injured tissue!

Learned

Rosewood is more abrasive than maple.
Padouk is more abrasive than Cherry.
Teak really is abrasive

Literally hands on turning maple can cause the
turner to taste "maple".

fun stuff this woodworking thing.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

There are gloves you can use that will help you avoid losing tissue...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,42208

And there other options... don't lose the feel in your fingers - it's
not worth it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

"charlie b" wrote in message
I've managed to grind off the finger prints of several fingers while
sharpening tools, both on a Tormek and japanese waterstones.

Today, while turning "hair sticks" (the inspiration from another
thread in this group) with a bedan, I was dampening the vibration
with the the index and middle finger of my left hand, left thumb
on top of the bedan at the piece. Couple of hours later I come
in for lunch and wash my hands. Soap is a great way to find
injured tissue!

A thin goatskin glove, well impregnated with white vaseline,
is my antidote.

If you do not find them for sale, its because you never visit
a bikers shop, asking for summer gloves:-)

Goatskin is 300% more tear-safe than any other type of skin,
so you can use it with confidence down to 0.8mm thick.
A bikers goatskin suit is regularly made from 1.0 and 1.2mm
goat skin.

Bjarte

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 11 Dec 2005 00:14:51 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

There are gloves you can use that will help you avoid losing tissue...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,42208

And there other options... don't lose the feel in your fingers - it's
not worth it.

if you don't want to wear gloves or use finger wraps, coat the fingers with Ca
before you start.. I also used to use "liquid band-aid" or newskin, before I
learned to use tools, not fingers.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"mac davis" wrote in message
On 11 Dec 2005 00:14:51 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

There are gloves you can use that will help you avoid losing tissue...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42207,42208

And there other options... don't lose the feel in your fingers - it's
not worth it.

if you don't want to wear gloves or use finger wraps, coat the fingers
with Ca
before you start.. I also used to use "liquid band-aid" or newskin,
before I
learned to use tools, not fingers.. *g*

====You guys forgot a word of caution! Do not depend on these finger
protection hints to work with tablesaws, RASs, bandsaws, routers! *G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
Are we really talking "Bikers" here, or do we really mean "Cyclists"? :-)

Barry

Oh, well; I live in innocent Norway, and for shopping and stores,
I do not see the difference:-)

Goatskin - on the one hand, or the other?

Bjarte

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Dingley

On 11 Dec 2005 00:14:51 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

There are gloves you can use that will help you avoid losing tissue...

OTOH, wearing gloves near a rotating shaft is one way to use a _lot_ of
tissue, very rapidly. Don't do it! If you need some abrasion
resistance, get a small leather pad a couple of inches square and just
hold it in place.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike and Bev Mills

I've had good luck using foam backed sanding pads to steady work (mostly
bowls), but you might give one a try... 100 or 220 grit. I use enough
pressure to keep the item from flexing, but back off if I feel the pad
heating up. It has the added benefit of smoothing out the piece.

I get the sanding pads at Sherwin Williams store for about 70 cents apiece.

-------------------------------
Mike Mills
Boca Raton FL

charlie b wrote:
I've managed to grind off the finger prints of several fingers while
sharpening tools, both on a Tormek and japanese waterstones.

Today, while turning "hair sticks" (the inspiration from another
thread in this group) with a bedan, I was dampening the vibration
with the the index and middle finger of my left hand, left thumb
on top of the bedan at the piece. Couple of hours later I come
in for lunch and wash my hands. Soap is a great way to find
injured tissue!

Learned

Rosewood is more abrasive than maple.
Padouk is more abrasive than Cherry.
Teak really is abrasive

Literally hands on turning maple can cause the
turner to taste "maple".

fun stuff this woodworking thing.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
To The Top

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

A thin goatskin glove, well impregnated with white vaseline,
is my antidote.

I'm sorry, this is a terrible way to delurk and introduce myself, but this
can't be passed up....

How about lubricated ribbed condoms on each finger (for her pleasure)

Okay, you can start throwing small chunks of wood at me now.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"To The Top" wrote:

I'm sorry, this is a terrible way to delurk and introduce myself, but this
can't be passed up....

How about lubricated ribbed condoms on each finger (for her pleasure)

You wouldn't happen to have a desire to turn frozen sperm, would you? Or
be planning of heading off to outer space? Or desire to gather opinions
about which woods are most splinter free for use as sexual aids?

My apologies if these questions offend you - it's just that we've been
visited over the years by folks with these questions and ambitions - and
ribbed condoms just might fit in a little too well with that crowd.

One more comment about the condoms - and not to appear to be bragging...
Um, how shall I say this? The condoms I've encountered are way too big
to stay put on any of my fingers. I'm not sure they'd make turning any
safer.

Oh yes, congratulations with stepping out of the closet and delurking
yourself.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
To The Top

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message

You wouldn't happen to have a desire to turn frozen sperm, would you? Or
be planning of heading off to outer space? Or desire to gather opinions
about which woods are most splinter free for use as sexual aids?

My apologies if these questions offend you - it's just that we've been
visited over the years by folks with these questions and ambitions - and
ribbed condoms just might fit in a little too well with that crowd.

No offense taken. Now where's my tin-foil hat so I can get back to that
lathe.....