Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Painter's Touch or Painter's Fingerprint??

Casper wrote:
Check out - Behlen Rockhard Table Top Varnish

A few sources:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=05INFROO

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...OD&ProdID=4292

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17265

I've got no financial interest, blah, blah, blah ...

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the info and links. I will definitly check them out. I will
probably go with Woodcraft since there is a store close by and I need
to mke a trip there anyway.

Do I need to thin this out? Or does it go on full strength?? I haven't
worked with varnish much; just on old windows.

I have some experience with that varnish; yes, I would go with the
assumption that you might need to thin it, at least a bit. Get the
Behlen brand thinner that's *meant* for it; I have tried using regular
mineral spirits and it doesn't work very well (I've had it congeal on
me). You'll want to lay on a good wet coat and keep a "wet edge".
Also, it sands and polishes beautifully, but don't try to lay down a
bunch of really thin coats by way of leveling each one with sandpaper
(unless you're very careful) because if you break through one coat into
another you *will* get witness lines (DAMHIKT). Also, it's a very
glossy finish, so if that's not what you want you'll have to compensate
somehow.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.