Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good info on UHMW - what about phenolic?

"Jay Giuliani" wrote in message
I used a hard plastic material, actal type unknown.

I was in the local Bed, Bath and Beyond a couple of months ago and they
had some food prep boards made of a whitish, opaqure plastic for a couple
of bucks apiece.

I bought one and experimented with it.

I was able to cut it easily on a small bandsaw and used a forstner bid to
cut recesses for the mounting tans on the table top.

For the slot, I just slowly brought the blade up therough the material at
full tilt to the left and then the right.

I trimmed it with the router and it works great.

I went back and bought a few more and have been making inserts for the
other tools as needed.

Good idea and thanks for the tip. I went to a BBB today and tested the
bendability of small cutting boards. I found the Bamboo board to be the
strongest, therefore, made the purchase. Now, I'll experiment with it in my
table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks,

I liked it because it was cheap.

I probably went thicker (about 7/16") than I needed but was also worried
about flex. I am not sure that is an issue though baseed on the amount of
deflection you actually would get on the small surface area of an insert
with the work piece sliding across and not held down with much pressure. I
can't imagine it would be noticeable.

I don't have a full size table saw due to space constraints, just a portable
contractors saw I do most of my edge work on a router tghat is built into
the top of my workbench..

I typically don't like working with the harder plastic or resin products
because the dust gets everywhere and my main shop is in the house. I am
only banished to the garage for finishing.

I bet the bamboo will look nice.