Robert Bonomi

Default Home Workshops and Alarm Systems

In article ,
Wes Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:38:26 +0000,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

|In article 1075236547.924306@sj-nntpcache-3,
|BRuce wrote:
|understood, works about the same way here in NC. We did have a big case
|a few years ago where a guy found a group of teens stealing stuff from
|his garage and shot one of them in the back. Case went to court and he
|was found guilty because they did not pose a threat to him but judge
|gave him a suspended sentence due to circumstances. I wouldn't want the
|aggravation of a court appearance so i would probably wait for them to
|com back for "seconds" and shoot them on the way in. :-)
|

|*MOST* states have a "fleeing felon" statute, which makes any party who
|commits a felony 'fair game' AS THEY ARE LEAVING THE SCENE.

Don't try that in Arizona. In fact defense of *property* using deadly
force is seldom justified. In the case of arson maybe, otherwise I
don't think so.

See:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=13

I did. 13-410 (A) (3) is the AZ 'fleeing felon' statute. To wit:

13-410. Justification; use of deadly physical force in law enforcement

A. The threatened use of deadly physical force by a person against
another is justified pursuant to section 13-409 only if a reasonable
person effecting the arrest or preventing the escape would believe the
suspect or escapee is:

3. A felon who is fleeing from justice or resisting arrest with
physical force.

You're trying to effect a "citizen's arrest", and/or prevent their escape
and fleeing from justice.

Note: the title of the section does _not_ refer to 'sworn law enforcement
_officers_'

Also, the law is not what the legislature says it is, it is what the
*judge* says it is. For example ARS 13-413 says that you can't be
sued for acting lawfully while using force against another. Yet
lawsuits are routinely brought by perps and their families and the
judges gleefully permit them.

NO, that is -not- what the law says. it says:
13-413. No civil liability for justified conduct
No person in this state shall be subject to civil liability for
engaging in conduct otherwise justified pursuant to the provisions of
this chapter.
Now that leaves OPEN the question of "whether or not" the conduct _was_
"justified pursuant to the provisions of this chapter".

If the conduct _is_ found to be justified, then there is no liability, and
thus no damages can be awarded.

*IF*, on the other hand, the conduct is *not* actually "justified", then the
party _is_ subject to civil liability.

If the authors of statute mean "a lawsuit on this basis cannot be won", they
will state something like "immune from civil lawsuit for any actions taken
in the good-faith belief that they were permitted under this section".

Such a statute doesn't _prevent_ a suit from being filed, but the defense
merely has to assert that they "Believed in good faith" that their actions
were covered, and request summary dismissal therefore. Given such language
in statute, the court would have little recourse but _to_ grant the dismissal.

Another example: ARS 13-3102 (F) specifically says that a weapon can
be carried concealed in a means of transportation in a holster,
scabbard or case designed to carry the weapon. Yet people are
routinely charged and convicted for doing just that.

NIT PICK, 13-3102 (F) does -not- say carried "concealed". And -that-,
I expect is the issue. 13-3102 (A) (2) forbids a concealed weapon where
a person w/o a permit has immediate control and access. 13-3102 (F)
is, unfortunately, somewhat ambiguous as to _exactly_ what sets of
circumstances render 13-3102 (A) (2) inapplicable.

There is: (A) a 'laundry list' of 'containers' that is specifically enumerated.
followed by, (B) a qualifier "in a means of transportation", with a second
qualifier, (C) "in a storage compartment... in a means of transportation."

What is *not* clear is the _precise_ relationship among these three things.
It _could_ be that:
both qualifiers apply -only- to the last 'container' named in the 'laundry
list'; that if it is in one of the other containers named, that the
qualifications do not apply.
the 1st qualifier applies only to the last named 'container' only, and the
2nd qualifier applies to _all_ the named containers.
both qualifiers apply to all the named containers.
the 1st qualifier applies to the last named container only, and the 2nd
qualifier applies _regardless_ of whether it is actually in one of the
named containers
the 1st qualifier applies to any named container, and the 2nd qualifier
applies _regardless_ of whether it is actually in one of the named
containers
the named container list applies _regardless_ of location, _and_ either
qualifier applies _regardless_ of whether it is in one of the named
containers, or not

I wouldn't want to guess _which_ of those alternatives the framers of the
statute actually 'intended'.

My concealed carry instructor (retired sheriff's weapons training
officer) told us that even though I have a permit, if my weapon is in
the glove compartment and I have a passenger who doesn't have a
permit, they "have immediate access" and can be charged. So my usual
passenger SWMBO has her permit too.

A 'rational' reading of 13-3108 (F) WOULD seem to indicate that -neither-
of you need a permit, given that the weapon is in the appropriate container,
and _in_the_glovebox_.

Charlie Self

Upscale asks:

You realize of course, that I've been asking these alarm questions because
I'm scoping out areas for my next nocturnal visit. Now which of you guys has
an outdoor shop with no steps and a door that's at least 27" wide?

One door 48" wide, one 95".

Motion activated outdoor lights. Small dog that doesn't yap, but does bark at
intruders. Old Mossberg in bedroom with window that has straight-on view of
both doors. And age has me sleeping lightly.

Charlie Self
"To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was
tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
BRuce

one 36" and one 60" and a marlin 22 that I use to shoot squirrels at 20
yards, head shots only... the shop doors are MUCH closer than that and I
would image your head being larger than the local squirrel. :-)

Don't mess with my Unisaw!

BRuce

Upscale wrote:
You realize of course, that I've been asking these alarm questions because
I'm scoping out areas for my next nocturnal visit. Now which of you guys has
an outdoor shop with no steps and a door that's at least 27" wide?

"T." wrote in message

Tue, Jan 27, 2004, 4:25pm (EST+5) (Upscale) queries:
snip How are you protecting your standalone shops (aside from your pit
bull) from possible theft? snip

No prob. The kid's dog barks. I provide the bite. If the first
magazine won't do it, I've got more.

JOAT
There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, it's
probably in Tennessee --that says, fool me once, shame on ... shame on
you. Fool me ... You can't get fooled again..
- G.W. Bush quoted by the Baltimore Sun - Oct 6, 2002

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 28 Jan 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Scott

How are you protecting your standalone shops (aside from your pit bull) from
possible theft?

I use a German Shepherd who has 24/7 access to the shop. So far so good ...

http://home.att.net/~slurban3/Photos/Shopdog-480.jpg

;)

BIG JOE

Lazarus Long wrote :

I hope your "friend" paid for his idiocy.

Sadly, no. Neither one of us had any money, so I took the bus from then on.

Joe

Barry Lennox

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:31:13 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 04:32:03 GMT, "Jim Giblin"
wrote:

A corollary to monitoring for theft is the potential for fire.

This is the primary reason I have a system. By the time neighbors
notice smoke, it might be too late.

I have standard smoke and heat detectors, which I blow out with canned
air on a regular basis. I've found that my detectors usually falsely
trigger when dirty, others may not.

I use the thermal switch types mounted up high, Can't recall the temp
they trigger at, but they never generate a false alarm. However, they
will not alarm until the fire is underway, and hot gas is being
generated.

Barry Lennox
BRuce

there are 2 primary types; fixed, usually 130 or 140 degrees and rate of
rise, where a rapid rise in temp will trigger them (actually they can be
set off by cupping your hand over them)

I have the 130s in my shop, no false alarms. the motion detector is
another story, it had to be moved as the radiant heater would set it off
about 3AM but only if the outside temp was below 32.

BRuce

--
---

BRuce

Wow, you guys are extreme. You would kill someone over a few
hundred bucks worth of tools? Don't get me wrong, I believe in
defending myself and my family(and have the means to do so), but
everything else is replaceable, unlike innocent bystanders and neighbors
that would be in danger while you are blasting away. I guess I've
lived too long out in the sticks, where the only criminals we have are
the mailbox terrorists (about once a year, usually around graduation
time).
Maybe you guys should think about moving if it's that bad.

Well, statements like you've made in this thread are just fodder for
the anti-gun activists. Gun control means knowing how to use your
firearm and WHEN to use it.

BRuce

shooting a person that has broken into my property (house or shop) is
justifiable, using 6 - 210 rounds of FMJ or hollow point is not. it is
not anymore justifiable than deer hunting with an automatic weapon.

Chances are that in my case the gun would be use to detain the suspect
until the sheriff arrives. I have never injured a bystander shooting at
squirrels, why would shooting at a criminal be any different, other than
his head (not brain) would be larger?

BRuce (I live far enough out that is should make a difference but it
doesn't)

wrote:
Wow, you guys are extreme. You would kill someone over a few
hundred bucks worth of tools? Don't get me wrong, I believe in
defending myself and my family(and have the means to do so), but
everything else is replaceable, unlike innocent bystanders and neighbors
that would be in danger while you are blasting away. I guess I've
lived too long out in the sticks, where the only criminals we have are
the mailbox terrorists (about once a year, usually around graduation
time).
Maybe you guys should think about moving if it's that bad.

--
---

BRuce
Mapdude

Just this last Friday, not more than a 3 blocks from my house, a really
nice 45 year old woman came home to find a 15 year old kid ransacking
her house. He shot her in the head and stole her van. He was caught 4
blocks away when he left the van in front of a local bar club. Her
husband came home to find his wife dead in the kitchen.

This kid should be terminated immediately, on the side of the road where
he was picked up, and his body dumped at the city landfill in a plastic
bag. No need to waste tax payer dollars keeping him alive for the rest
of his life and feeding him. He does not deserve to draw another breath.

Joe Willmann wrote:
[posted and mailed]

wrote in news:1599-401C2EF0-828@storefull-
3113.bay.webtv.net:

Well, statements like you've made in this thread are just fodder

for

the anti-gun activists. Gun control means knowing how to use your
firearm and WHEN to use it.

Bzzzzz. Wrong!
Gun Control is getting the second round on target!

First of all. The most common kind of crime around here where someone
breaks into your house is the violent home invasion. In the last couple
of years there have been lots of cases around here.

In my case, and no doubt most others peoples, if someone breaks into my
shop and I am not in there I will call 911 and then fall into a
defensive position to defend my family. The BG (bad guy) leaves the
shop and enters the house then all bets are off. If I am in the shop
and a bad guy comes in to steal from me and my presense doesn't scare
him off then I assume my and my families life is in danger because the
BG was willing to perpetrate the crime with witnesses present. BG is
toast.

Deadly force is a last resort. But you have to be willing to use it
before you yourself end up dead.

Mark

My shop sits 12 feet away from the bedroom.
If someone breaks in chances are I'll hear them.
Doubtful they are gonna get to far too quietly hefting any of the
machines out the door (which go up to 800 lbs.). First they're gonna
have to move my 1945 Farmall outta the way...I'll defintely hear this
puppy fire up - assuming they know how to start one.
By this time me and my Winchester will be holding them at bay whilst I
do the PTT thing on my Nextel to shift Lt. at the district Police
station less than two miles away. (Worked with him for two years).
By the way, the Winchester is a 18" pump holding 7 rounds; also has a
sensitive trigger and an attitude. I recommend the first round to be #7
as a warning, followed by a slug if not heeded, then with buck if you
should miss.
Mark

Upscale wrote:

Just saw some pictures for a great new home workshop in abpw. It occurred to
me that I haven't seen much discussion on people protecting their
investments in regards to theft.

How are you protecting your standalone shops (aside from your pit bull) from
possible theft? How many have actually implemented an alarm system? Of
course some of this may depend on locale, but I'd be interested in hearing
comments.

Mark Hopkins

I've got a pitbull, an alarm system with a solar powered backup, sounds a
tone when the door opens, and the first two rounds in the 9 are ball
followed by the silvertipped hollowpoints for good measure. 15 in the clip
and a spare clip in the holster. Plus, I am a pretty large fellow who will
loan tools occaisionally, but absolutely hate a thief....

35 cents is way too cheap for the taxpayers. I won't miss. grin