Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Movie of my power adjust bench casters :-)

I've been putting wheels on everything.
I was bored, messing around with some scraps and threw this together for
fun.

http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I've been putting wheels on everything.
I was bored, messing around with some scraps and threw this together for
fun.

http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

Cool Mike!

I have been looking for a way to make a heavy work bench mobile and not. I
am wondering if you could simply push down the lever with your foot to
interlock with a spring loaded catch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

Cool Mike!

I have been looking for a way to make a heavy work bench mobile and not. I
am wondering if you could simply push down the lever with your foot to
interlock with a spring loaded catch.

Yes, like this guy:
http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/jointer.html

But I has that screw clamp from a crappy miter saw to recycle and
couldn't resist. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

Cool Mike!

I have been looking for a way to make a heavy work bench mobile and not.
I am wondering if you could simply push down the lever with your foot to
interlock with a spring loaded catch.

Yes, like this guy:
http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/jointer.html

But I has that screw clamp from a crappy miter saw to recycle and couldn't
resist. :-)

I was entertaining the feasibility of having casters screw down through the
middle of each of 4 legs. That however would involve long chains to keep
every thing synchronized or jacking each one down one by one like you have
done.
Thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
I was entertaining the feasibility of having casters screw down through

the
middle of each of 4 legs. That however would involve long chains to keep
every thing synchronized or jacking each one down one by one like you have

For a workbench, can I assume you've seen Norm's solution to wheels on a
bench? All he does is lift one end a few inches, kick out the wheel supports
and they drop in place to make his bench mobile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 4:14*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I've been putting wheels on everything.
I was bored, messing around with some scraps and threw this together for
fun.

http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
orhttp://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Me likes. I like good ideas. (I have also been known to steal
them....*running awaaaaay!!!!*)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Me likes. I like good ideas. (I have also been known to steal
them....*running awaaaaay!!!!*)

We're all thieves. I stole the basis of this from that other link I
posted. And if you trace it back far enough, that guy inevitably
stole it from the ancient Egyptians. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

Cool Mike!

I have been looking for a way to make a heavy work bench mobile and not.
I am wondering if you could simply push down the lever with your foot to
interlock with a spring loaded catch.

Yes, like this guy:
http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/jointer.html

Like yours, actually, but without the screw. Just step down on the center,
and shove a stick in there to lock them down. The couple of feet of leverage
looks sufficient to raise a much higher load.

But I has that screw clamp from a crappy miter saw to recycle and couldn't
resist. :-)

The mother of all evil is idle hands and a junk part box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, like this guy:
http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/jointer.html

Like yours, actually, but without the screw. Just step down on the
center, and shove a stick in there to lock them down. The couple of feet
of leverage looks sufficient to raise a much higher load.

I looked to his for inspiration.
His are very neat, clean, and perfect.
I'm not inspired to make the stuff used to move my stuff, used to make
nice stuff, nicer than the stuff I make. :-)

This is like version 8 of all the ones I've done.
I made a wood version of a metal cam wheel I saw at Woodcraft.
I'll post something.....

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is like version 8 of all the ones I've done.
I made a wood version of a metal cam wheel I saw at Woodcraft.
I'll post something.....

http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mov
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mpg

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
I was entertaining the feasibility of having casters screw down through

the
middle of each of 4 legs. That however would involve long chains to keep
every thing synchronized or jacking each one down one by one like you
have

For a workbench, can I assume you've seen Norm's solution to wheels on a
bench? All he does is lift one end a few inches, kick out the wheel
supports
and they drop in place to make his bench mobile.

Yes I have seen Norm's however this bench may be several hundred pounds, I
plan on having lots of storage drawers incorporated. I don't think lifting
will be an option.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I've been putting wheels on everything.
I was bored, messing around with some scraps and threw this together for
fun.

http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mpg
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/benchwheels.mov

Warning if you're still on dialup... it's 12mb.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I did the sort of the opposite on the base for my table saw. I welded two
3/4" nuts on the frame, and ran 3/4" threaded rod through them. I just crank
them down until some weight is carried by the rods.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
This is like version 8 of all the ones I've done.
I made a wood version of a metal cam wheel I saw at Woodcraft.
I'll post something.....

http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mov
or
http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mpg

This is outstanding. One Christmas the wife gave me a Delta Mobile base
(http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/art...seshowdown.htm)
and all I used was the cam wheel. I have my table saw and jointer (old
heavy iron) on one bench and I attached 2 large heavy duty no swivel
casters to one end and the Delta cam swivel wheel to the other. The
bench always rests on the two non swivel wheels but since they only move
in one direction, the bench is super stable when cutting. I've thought
of making a duplicate out of metal of the cam swivel (My brother welds,
not me) but never got around to it. I think I'll work on one like you
made out of wood... Do you have any nice drawings (sketchup wold be
great) or detailed pictures?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

or
http://www.mikedrums.com/castercam.mpg

This is outstanding. One Christmas the wife gave me a Delta Mobile base
(http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/art...seshowdown.htm)
and all I used was the cam wheel. I have my table saw and jointer (old
heavy iron) on one bench and I attached 2 large heavy duty no swivel
casters to one end and the Delta cam swivel wheel to the other.

Yeah, that's all you really need is the one. I would love to make them
out of metal.... excuse to buy a welder.
And Jack, that Delta is one of the ones I copied.

I think I'll work on one like you
made out of wood... Do you have any nice drawings (sketchup wold be
great) or detailed pictures?

I use Canvas for my plans, so I haven't gotten into sketchup.
But all I did for this was look at the pictures on the web...

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...051-04-500.jpg
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/145488.jpg

The rockler one, mostly, plus they have an exploded view in the manual
available here...
http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000503AA.pdf

I'm sure I could've gotten it smaller, but it works.
I'll take some closer pics of mine and post them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Took some pics...

http://www.mikedrums.com/cam_wheel/camwheel.html

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Took some pics...

http://www.mikedrums.com/cam_wheel/camwheel.html

I like it!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More Movies of My Tools on Wheels!

Weeeeeeeeee!

http://www.mikedrums.com/tablesawwheels.mov

http://www.mikedrums.com/routertablewheels.mov

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Took some pics...

http://www.mikedrums.com/cam_wheel/camwheel.html

Excellent! Thanks Mike, good job, both on the camwheel and the pictures.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com