woodworking-greg

Everybody starts somewhere. Go with the space and resources you have for
now. Someday your can get the bigger stuff.

your friend in Christ
Gregory
"RESPITE95" wrote in message
If you own and use bench top power tools such as a table saw, planer or

jointer
would you say you were satisfied with the results? I have a small shop

space
and it is just too expensive to add on to my house or build a seperate

building
to house full size equipment. I have been pondering the purchase of

small,
more portable tools that I can use and then put away when not in use. I
understand that I could not handle large projects with bench top tools,

but
then I often build only small items such as bedside tables, chairs, and so

on
anyway. What is your thoughts pro and con on bench top power tools?

Mark Jerde

RESPITE95 wrote:
If you own and use bench top power tools such as a table saw, planer
or jointer would you say you were satisfied with the results? I have
a small shop space and it is just too expensive to add on to my house
or build a seperate building to house full size equipment. I have
been pondering the purchase of small, more portable tools that I can
use and then put away when not in use. I understand that I could not
handle large projects with bench top tools, but then I often build
only small items such as bedside tables, chairs, and so on anyway.
What is your thoughts pro and con on bench top power tools?

Go for it! Make sawdust! ;-) I had a Delta bench saw for a couple years
before I upgraded to a Grizzly contractor saw. I would still have the Delta
if I still had the space.

-- Mark

On 11 Nov 2004 18:08:37 GMT, (RESPITE95) wrote:

If you own and use bench top power tools such as a table saw, planer or jointer
would you say you were satisfied with the results? I have a small shop space
and it is just too expensive to add on to my house or build a seperate building
to house full size equipment. I have been pondering the purchase of small,
more portable tools that I can use and then put away when not in use. I
understand that I could not handle large projects with bench top tools, but
then I often build only small items such as bedside tables, chairs, and so on
anyway. What is your thoughts pro and con on bench top power tools?

Define 'satisfied'. Define 'results'. You can do good work with bench
top tools, but you're going to be limited in size and what you can do.
Things like bedside tables would be stretching the abilities of most
tabletop tools.

Not necessarily a problem. But you have to be keenly aware of the
limits. Since I do mostly small stuff, not a problem.

One thing I would strongly suggest: Mount your tabletop contractor's
saw on a rollaway stand so you can take it out in the driveway or
whatever when you need to cut larger stock. Once you've got things
more or less cut to size it's a lot easier to handle them in a small
shop.

--RC

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin.
-- Wiz Zumwalt

mac davis

On 11 Nov 2004 18:08:37 GMT, (RESPITE95) wrote:

If you own and use bench top power tools such as a table saw, planer or jointer
would you say you were satisfied with the results? I have a small shop space
and it is just too expensive to add on to my house or build a seperate building
to house full size equipment. I have been pondering the purchase of small,
more portable tools that I can use and then put away when not in use. I
understand that I could not handle large projects with bench top tools, but
then I often build only small items such as bedside tables, chairs, and so on
anyway. What is your thoughts pro and con on bench top power tools?

you get what you spend for, and results can be improved some by bigger
tools, but the determining factor, IMHO, is always going to be the
users knowledge & skill. (that's why I'm here, I have very little of
either)

My suggestion for benchtop tools would be to buy the most powerful of
each model..
The biggest problem with benchtop tools is usually the table size, and
this can be overcome with some fairly inexpensive tables, extensions,
jigs, etc. that you build after you get your tools...
However, if the tools are under powered, larger work surfaces and
fences that you add may encourage you to try things that the tool
doesn't have the power t do safely..
The bottom line is to enjoy making sawdust and retain all of your body
parts (in their original places and working order)

I went the shopsmith route when I started, because it was all that I
had room for, and an in-law had one that he wasn't using.. (until I
borrowed it and cleaned and adjusted it, but that's a whole other
thread *g*)

the nice thing about benchtop tools is that you can get them one at a
time, as money and projects dictate.. a good benchtop table saw can be
a whole new world to someone without power tools, and by adding extras
as you go along, you can dado, grind, polish, slice and dice with the
best of 'em..
RESPITE95

Thanks for all the advice guys! I need to make up my mind and get on with it.
GCS
brian lanning

I have/had a number of them. The delta bench top planers and drill
presses are definitly worth having. They'll get you 90% of the way
there.

The delta benchtop jointer is marginal. It has a good variable speed
motor, but the tables often aren't flat and the tables are way too
short. I sold mine. But if you get one, set it permanently to 1/32"
and make extension infeed and outfeed tables.

The delta benchtop table saw is complete junk. Spend $350-$400 and
get the base model grizzly contractor's saw. You can upgrade the
wings from stamped steel to cast iron later. You can also upgrade the
fence later.

The delta bench top band saw was junk also, although not as bad as the
table saw. I sold this one also. I would spend the extra money and
get the G0555 band saw from grizzly.

You could put all of these things on mobile bases and wheel them out
of the way when they're not needed.

brian

(RESPITE95) wrote in message ...
If you own and use bench top power tools such as a table saw, planer or jointer
would you say you were satisfied with the results? I have a small shop space
and it is just too expensive to add on to my house or build a seperate building
to house full size equipment. I have been pondering the purchase of small,
more portable tools that I can use and then put away when not in use. I
understand that I could not handle large projects with bench top tools, but
then I often build only small items such as bedside tables, chairs, and so on
anyway. What is your thoughts pro and con on bench top power tools?

Steven and Gail Peterson

I have a Delta 12 1/2 in surface planer that I have used a lot. Built a
rolling stand for it, so it can be pushed aside. It is a bit slow, and
won't handle a wide hardwood board, but it is fine for most use.

Steve