Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Official Christmas Gift Gloat List

Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43078&ap=1
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Ok, I got absolutely nothing in the way of woodworking gifts, but friends of
mine presented my cat with a sisal cat scratching pad. Since my cat is
inordinately difficult to buy for, I think this counts since my cat went
absolutely nuts for it.

She's been rubbing and rolling on this scratching pad for the last ten
minutes and I'm perfectly delighted that she's happy with it.

That counts for a gloat as far as I'm concerned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43078&ap=1
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

There's a new Woodcraft store about 2 miles from my home that opened
about three weeks ago. I've been to the store once for a total of about
30 minutes.

I found out this morning that the entire staff at the store now knows my
wife by site and have my name memorized.

List to follow... ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ... dept_id=12790

Works for me!

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
news
Jay Pique wrote:
Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43078&ap=1
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

There's a new Woodcraft store about 2 miles from my home that opened about
three weeks ago. I've been to the store once for a total of about 30
minutes.

I found out this morning that the entire staff at the store now knows my
wife by site and have my name memorized.

List to follow... ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I got the spokeshave shown on the link below.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/3742

I don't where to keep the Allen wrench though. :-)

My daughter ordered it one day and it was delivered the next day. She bought
herself a chip carving knife set. I now will go the lumberyard to buy some
basswood for her. I guess she will need a workmate, or a small
workbench....Hmmm!

I guess I know what my next project will be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

I found out this morning that the entire staff at the store now knows my
wife by site and have my name memorized.

You suck! And not just a little...

Enjoy!
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Nova wrote:

I found out this morning that the entire staff at the store now knows
my wife by site and have my name memorized.

You suck! And not just a little...

Enjoy!

Here's the list from memory.

Work Sharp WS 3000 Tool Sharpener
Leather Honing Wheel for the WS3000
Forrest Woodworker II 30 Tooth 10" Standard Kerf Saw Blade
Porter Cable 343VSK Variable Speed ROS
50 Pk - Norton 3X H/L 5" Sanding Disks - 120 Grit
50 Pk - Norton 3X H/L 5" Sanding Disks - 220 Grit
2 - 18" Bessey F-Body Clamps
2 - 24" Bessey F-Body Clamps
Woodcraft 170 Piece HSS Twist Drill Bit Set
Woodcraft 170 Brad Point Drill Bit Set
Wixley Digital Angle Gauge
Woodcraft "Wood River" 1/2" shank Router Bits:
1/4" Roundover Bit
1/2" Radius Core Bit
1/4" Straight Bit
5/32" Roman Ogee Bit
1/4" Cove Bit

If I left anything out I'll update the list. I was a bit overwhelmed
this AM.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Work Sharp WS 3000 Tool Sharpener

Just out of curiosity, the Worksharp is similar in nature to the Veritas®
Mk.II power sharpening system. Has anyone compared the two and decided which
is better or more capable, etc?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

"Nova" wrote in message
Work Sharp WS 3000 Tool Sharpener

Just out of curiosity, the Worksharp is similar in nature to the Veritas®
Mk.II power sharpening system. Has anyone compared the two and decided
which
is better or more capable, etc?

Not compared specifically to the veritas, but some other similar, fairly
close sharpening systems, and a good review/read thanks to charlieb:

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/S...orkSharp1.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

My wife finally found my Lee Valley wish list. She and the kids
emptied it out. Beats books and shirts any year. Medium Shoulder
Plane, bevel gauge, new jaws for my lathe chuck, and shaper scraper
blades for my Stanley 66. It is going to a good day in the shop
tomorrow. I got a mini-gloat to boot. I found a solid mahogany hutch
on desk on craigs list for free. It was poorly made and the wide
panels were splitting because of crossgraining when they built it. I
ended up taking it apart and salvaged about 30 board feet of
mahogany. Not a bad couple of days lately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ... dept_id=12790

Very nice. I would have settled for that, but got a set of carving gouges
this time. Either would be just the thing for idling away the minutes while
the shellac sets up enough to coat the flipside. While populating my own
gift to myself, a set of bookcases, I unearthed a large collection of books,
including one of FWW's early 80's books on jointery. The shop's need for a
set of shoji doors became suddenly clear. I like bashing rectangular holes
in things just for the sake of bashing rectangular holes, even without any
specific end goal in mind. The gouges serve a similar need, just without the
same potential for a useful end product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43078...
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

Santa left me the new DeWalt plunge saw. Santa's helper hid the
tracks (59" and 102"). Unbelievably and embarassingly she hid the
102" track in my small basement shop and I never saw it. She mixed it
into a rack of about 100bf of red oak.

I have be wanting one of the track saws. Since I have a smallish
shop, I usually cut down full plywood sheets before bringing them into
the shop. Now that is going to be much better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 06:11:36 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43078&ap=1
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

The bottom frames are rotted out on our garage doors. After probably
50 years who can complain. So I decided to build replacement frames.
The garage is probably one good wind storm away from just lying down
and giving up the ghost so new doors were not an option. I was
thinking I "needed" a biscuit jointer for the project but finally
decided to just dowel and gluel them together. I did the drilling for
the dowels on a Bridgeport Mill, use what you got don't you know.

A day after I finished the drilling and gluing my wife presented me
with a Ryobi Biscuit Jointer on Christmas day. Hmmm. What to do now.
Swap if for something I am more likely to use or keep it for "just in
case".

Actually it is an easy decision. I NEVER part with a tool.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

http://neme-s.org/

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

http://neme-s.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Errol Groff wrote:

A day after I finished the drilling and gluing my wife presented me
with a Ryobi Biscuit Jointer on Christmas day. Hmmm. What to do now.
Swap if for something I am more likely to use or keep it for "just in
case".

Actually it is an easy decision. I NEVER part with a tool.

Except, of course, for a parting tool!

Posted to rec.woodworking

A day after I finished the drilling and gluing my wife presented me
with a Ryobi Biscuit Jointer on Christmas day. Hmmm. What to do now.
Swap if for something I am more likely to use or keep it for "just in
case".

Actually it is an easy decision. I NEVER part with a tool.

Errol Groff

I got one of those as a gift, sold it to re-tool (yes, I know) because I
"needed" the cash.
Two weeks later I got a job that needed the tool.

I'm in your camp, now. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 6:33*pm, Nova wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

That is quite a haul. That squarely puts you in the YOU SUCK category.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 6:33 pm, Nova wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

------
Heh. He's on the hook for wow'ing her with ... shudder maybe a jewelry box
or something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 1:52*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Dec 27, 11:49*am, "Dave - Parkville, MD"

wrote:
On Dec 25, 9:11*am, Jay Pique wrote:

Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43078...
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

Santa left me the new DeWalt plunge saw. *Santa's helper hid the
tracks (59" and 102"). *Unbelievably and embarassingly she hid the
102" track in my small basement shop and I never saw it. *She mixed it
into a rack of about 100bf of red oak.

I have be wanting one of the track saws. *Since I have a smallish
shop, I usually cut down full plywood sheets before bringing them into
the shop. *Now that is going to be much better.

I, for one, would be very appreciative if, at some point down the
road, you gave a report on your track saw.

I would like to see the Dewalt plunge saw & track review too.
Dewalt is competing with Festool on this one and the price is high
too. For me the easy decision would be Festool.
Robb
Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 6:33 pm, Nova wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

With all that, he is looking at a new kitchen, you don't need all that
sandpaper for a jewelry box.
;-)
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

It seems that biscuit joiners are being phased out for the old
electric low tech slot cutter in a router and put your biscuits or
splines wherever you want them. I'm glad to have a good old Porter
Cable biscuit jointer (alignment tool).
The price of the Festool Domino is killing a friend of mine after I
ewed and awed over his and then told him how Norm is doing it these
days. (I guess Porter Cable isn't paying Norm enough to use his
anymore.)
Robb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 29, 6:55*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
MikeWhy wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 6:33 pm, Nova wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

He's refinishing the dining room... including the floor?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Dec 29, 6:55Â*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
MikeWhy wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 6:33 pm, Nova wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

Possibility, but you'll have to consult with the person who wrote the cheque
for all those goodies.

--
Froz...

2 feet longer than a d00tchie.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Errol Groff wrote:

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

Is the AMT program moving to Brainard?

There's a huge, nice, new hangar being built at Brainard Airport, that I
hear is going to be a State AMT school.

AFAIK, Ellis was _the_ CT Aviation Maintenance Tech school. I'm hearing
rumors...
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
MikeWhy wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 6:33 pm, Nova wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:

Nova wrote:

[...]

You're close. I just finished gutting, rewiring and drywalling the
master bedroom. I've still have to make and install the moldings.
What's holding up the works is I want to replace all the doors on the
second floor with six panel oak doors but my wife is against the expense.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:57:21 -0500, B A R R Y
wrote:

Errol Groff wrote:

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

Is the AMT program moving to Brainard?

There's a huge, nice, new hangar being built at Brainard Airport, that I
hear is going to be a State AMT school.

AFAIK, Ellis was _the_ CT Aviation Maintenance Tech school. I'm hearing
rumors...

The first two moving vans left Ellis today. I am really going to miss
having the aircraft shop just down the hall from my machine shop! They
are going to miss being down the hall from us also. Just last week I
machined from scratch some fairly intricate seat mounting brackets for
them which are not available from any source.

Errol Groff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Errol Groff wrote:

The first two moving vans left Ellis today. I am really going to miss
having the aircraft shop just down the hall from my machine shop! They
are going to miss being down the hall from us also. Just last week I
machined from scratch some fairly intricate seat mounting brackets for
them which are not available from any source.

Sounds like they'll miss you, too!

The guys who maintain my plane @ Windham Aircraft Repair are Ellis grads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 9:11*am, Jay Pique wrote:
Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started
one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for
the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43078...
They'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a
hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

I got a Bosch PS30, a CD with Popular Woodworking years 2000-2007 in
PDF format, and a Milwaukee 14.4 hammer drill (0617-24). If Bosch will
come out with something like the Milwaukee Hackzall I'll be set for my
birthday, too!

-Nathan