Mark Jerde

Default Christmas Gift Idea -- Feedback?

Isabel knocked out our power for 5 1/2 days so my power tools got a rest.
To avoid the most serious withdrawal symptoms, one evening I took part of a
project outdoors, put it on a couple sawhorses and started making dust with
a coping saw. When the fairly heavy piece of wood started sliding around I
went back in the dark garage/shop & came out with a couple of clamps.

While tightening the first clamp a thought hit me like a ton of bricks --
clamps are the single biggest "secret" of woodworkers that "Joe Handyman"
needs to know. Clamps are so easy and so useful, but in my experience are
totally unknown by the guy or gal who has a tool box, a hacksaw and a
handsaw. Certainly I knew nothing about them before the ww bug bit me in
the hindquarters & I started reading books etc.

Growing up I "helped" my Dad build a doghouse and a simple study desk. ISTM
the hand sawing was about the same effort as the two of us trying to hold
the boards still while cutting. I built some truly butt-ugly-but-useful
things as a teen, and again I recall the boards moving all over the place
while I was cutting them. A couple weeks ago I watched a neighbor kneeling
on something he was cutting and still having to hang onto it with the other
hand while cutting.

I'm thinking of sending a couple of Jorgensen light duty clamps to the 10
households on my Christmas list. I'll include a write-up, "I know you won't
use these very often, but those one or two times a year you cut something
with your saw you'll find these very useful. ... "

Question: What size clamps are appropriate? One 6" and one 12"? Two 6"'s?
One 12", one 18"?

Thanks.

-- Mark

J.B. Bobbitt

Hi Mark;

Remember me? I'm your cousin J.B., in California.

I think a couple or four Bessy 36" K-body clamps would be perfect. You
could send 'em out in one of those cardboard tubes. I can say with
certainty you'd be greatly acknowledged for your discriminating gift sense.

-JBB

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

I'm thinking of sending a couple of Jorgensen light duty clamps to the

10
households on my Christmas list. I'll include a write-up, "I know you

won't
use these very often, but those one or two times a year you cut

something
with your saw you'll find these very useful. ... "

Question: What size clamps are appropriate? One 6" and one 12"? Two

6"'s?
One 12", one 18"?

Thanks.

-- Mark

I did give a gift of clamps last year. Home Depot had a gift pack of about
4 or 5 different clamps. They were well received.

I'd say better to error on the larger size. I have a couple or small Quick
Clamps that I curse often. They are maybe 10" and just seem to be undersized
all too often; they just look bigger than they are. I'd go with one 6" for
the smaller stuff, and an 18" or 24" that will handle most home handyman
needs.
Ed