Dave

Default Cyclone dust collector on garbage can...

How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop vac?

Dave

Steve

I have one on my Jet canister system, and it does keep the larger blocks and
anything metal out of the impeller, which is the reason I got it. But planer
shavings, for instance, get sucked up once there's more than about 3" in the
can. I've not seen anything smaller than that stay in the can, and when I
emptied the DC bag last weekend, there was plenty of chips as well as dust,
so it doesn't seem to separate the two very well. I should mention that I
have only one hose hooked up at present, going directly to the planer or TS
with short hoses, so the airflow (and thus velocity) is higher than it
probably would be in a 'normal' installation. On the planer it has more
resistance, and I can hear chips being sucked out of the can when I
disconnect the hose.

That said, I wouldn't work without one. I've never heard a chunk of wood
going through the impeller, and I don't want to ;-). Just don't expect the
can to fill to the brim.

Overall the thing that amazes me most about my DC is how infrequently I have
to empty it. It really settles the chips well. Of course, when you pull the
bag it weighs a ton, but I can live with that.

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop

vac?

Dave

George Berlinger

I have a Jet 650 , which i use a 32 gal. trash can as the cyclone for it, I
got the molded lid, i put foam liner around the trash can lid to keep it air
tight, ( the kinda foam strip you put over water pipes for
condensation).......it works great. My Dewalt planer will fill the trash can
quicker than all other tools, trash can will fill before bag does......I
switched my Jet 5 micron bags for 1/2 micron felt bags though, big
improvement. If I keep the trash can empty, the bag never fills, but if you
forget...then both are filled up. Haven,t had any chunks of wood get to the
Jet propeler`s, but sure heard them getting knocked about in the empty trash
can, until some sawdust gets in their. The dust-collector is a lot quieter
than a shop-vac too..........

George....

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a

dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop

vac?

Dave

Bridger

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:27:33 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop vac?

Dave

they work well within a fairly narrow range of airflow

Phisherman

wrote:

How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop vac?

Dave

They work well. You need to make sure there are no leaks. They also
protect your DC from something that got got sucked in by mistake
(nails, screws, washers, etc.)

Bob Davis

On the dust collection website at
http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworki...e%20Separators,
the author discusses these separators. Information he quotes may be
controversial. He says if you get above 500 cfm, they quite working because
so much air is moving that the stuff never settles.

I think it makes sense to design a collection system with trashcan separator
and moderate airflow for the planer and jointer. On the other hand, for a
tablesaw, you want as much air flow as you can possibly muster. My dealer's
shop has two circuits - one for the "big chip" producers where he has a
trashcan seperator. The other is for fine dust producers and he does not
use the separator there.

Bob

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop

vac?

Dave

Jim

If you are using the shop vac as a dust collector the cyclone collector
that goes on the 5 gallon bucket worked better for me than the big
trashcan kind. The larger one works better with my dust collector.

Unless the trash can gets very full, nothing but fine dust gets into the
dust collector bag.

I found the big seperator leaked a lot of air when I first got it. I put
seran wrap around the can and on the inside of the lid and then filled
the groove inside the lid with RTV silicone and tied everything together
to dry. The seran wrap doesn stick to the silicone so you get a perfect,
form fitting seal between the pieces. A trick I learned making RC
airplanes. I love it when hobbies overlap

"Dave" wrote in
. net:

How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a
dust and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating
out the larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to
the shop vac?

Dave

Tom Martinello

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Now, I used one of those 55 gallon drums, and I don't get any air leak
whatsoever. I am using Lee Valley's Veritas Cyclone and it uses so much
suction, that if I TRY to go lower than 2 1/2" for a dust intake, it will
try to implode on itself. I don't get any dust whatsoever in my Rigid
ShopVac now, either.

--
-----
Tom Martinello -/- http://www.thegreatreddragon.zzn.com/

Jim

"Tom Martinello" wrote in
:

Now, I used one of those 55 gallon drums, and I don't get any air leak
whatsoever. I am using Lee Valley's Veritas Cyclone and it uses so
much suction, that if I TRY to go lower than 2 1/2" for a dust intake,
it will try to implode on itself. I don't get any dust whatsoever in
my Rigid ShopVac now, either.

I got one of the cheaper ones that Grizzley (and others) sell. You know
I'm starting to believe that Veritas is worth the extra money even for the
small stuff. I just got their sharpening "system" (blade holder and angle
setter) and it is substantially better than the $10 one I picked up at
Menards. Of course if I hadn't bought the cheaper one first I'd have never
truley appreciated this one