Steve

Default Cyclone dust collector on garbage can...

I have one on my Jet canister system, and it does keep the larger blocks and
anything metal out of the impeller, which is the reason I got it. But planer
shavings, for instance, get sucked up once there's more than about 3" in the
can. I've not seen anything smaller than that stay in the can, and when I
emptied the DC bag last weekend, there was plenty of chips as well as dust,
so it doesn't seem to separate the two very well. I should mention that I
have only one hose hooked up at present, going directly to the planer or TS
with short hoses, so the airflow (and thus velocity) is higher than it
probably would be in a 'normal' installation. On the planer it has more
resistance, and I can hear chips being sucked out of the can when I
disconnect the hose.

That said, I wouldn't work without one. I've never heard a chunk of wood
going through the impeller, and I don't want to ;-). Just don't expect the
can to fill to the brim.

Overall the thing that amazes me most about my DC is how infrequently I have
to empty it. It really settles the chips well. Of course, when you pull the
bag it weighs a ton, but I can live with that.

"Dave" wrote in message
. net...
How well do those cyclone inducing covers for garbage cans work as a dust
and chip collector. Do they really do a good job of separating out the
larger chips and just sending the smaller ones (i.e. dust) to the shop

vac?

Dave