Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fein Multimaster Vs Dremel

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power
in the knock offs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

henry wrote:
I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think
there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the
knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less
power
in the knock offs.

I'd worry more about the availability and cost of blades.

You've got several options.

The Dremel is not exactly a knockoff--it works on the same principles
but doesn't use the same blades and as far as I know there is no
adapter available that allows Fein blades to be used.

The Harbor Freight
seems to be a straight knockoff, but runs at only half the speed. I
haven't seen any real feedback on it and having bought a Fein some
years back have no incentive to risk the 70 bucks to see (by the way,
you missed the Black Friday sale when it was down to 40) but it does
have the advantage of costing less than a tank of gas did in recent
memory.

The "Rockwell"
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&sName=Sanders
(no relation to the company that built the Space Shuttle and at one
time owned Delta) runs at about the same speed as the Fein and
supposedly can use Multimaster blades with an adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-301091890...8150091&sr=8-1.

Bosch also has one, a cordless called the "Multi-X"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E281DG. Whether it can use Fein
blades I have no idea.

The new Fein has one feature that the others lack that IMO makes it
worth the money--a quick toolless blade change mechanism--it seems
unimportant until you've lived with one for a while. I'm tempted to
sell mine and get the new one just for that.

Note that if you are going for any of them you are generally best off
buying the largest kit, as the accessories tend to come cheaper that
way, in the case of the Fein a _lot_ cheaper.

Don't worry overly much about power. This is not a brute-force type
of tool--less power just means that you go slower.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"henry" wrote
I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power
in the knock offs.

Something else to consider:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 11:14*am, "Swingman" wrote:

I would probably buy the knockoffs as sanders. As much as I like to
save a buck, I can't imagine the blades of the knockoffs living up to
the Fein blades. Not for quality (or for cost!).

Something else to consider:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

You know, I wouldn't have done anything more than snicker at that
until I bought those two little Ridgid drills that use the Li
batteries. They are 12v as well, and they have a very surprising
amount of power.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/08 10:32 AMDec 1, "henry" wrote:

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power
in the knock offs.

Look at the Bosch Multi-X as a third alternative
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 6:04 pm, Bob Haar wrote:

Look at the Bosch Multi-X as a third alternative http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

You should look into that as well, Karl.

It can be found here, too:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

(copied from an earlier post in this thread. Ahem....)

I also saw it he

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21333

I am sitting here laughing my ass off thinking .... jeez... does
anyone read any of these posts before they reply?

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:32:20 -0800 (PST), henry
wrote:

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power
in the knock offs.

Definitely do not waste your money on a single-speed Fein. Useless
for just about anything you might want to try, short of cutting balsa.

Spring for the variable speed, and you may as well save some money and
buy the Dremel. You'll buy at least 2 for the price of the Fein. And
hang onto your hat when you go to buy blades!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I am sitting here laughing my ass off thinking .... jeez... does
anyone read any of these posts before they reply?

LOL ... not unusual on Usenet, where the urge to post oftentimes overrides
the urge to **** ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:29:52 -0500, "J. Clarke"

wrote:

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can
convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think
there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the
knock offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the
less power in the knock offs.

Definitely do not waste your money on a single-speed Fein. Useless
for just about anything you might want to try, short of cutting
balsa.

Spring for the variable speed, and you may as well save some money
and
buy the Dremel. You'll buy at least 2 for the price of the Fein. And
hang onto your hat when you go to buy blades!!!!!!!!

There is no single-speed corded Fein in current production. The two
models are the FMM 250 and the FMM 250 Q, with the difference being
that the Q has the quick change mechanism. They do have a
single-speed cordless.

--

My brother bought a single speed cordless a few years ago. As a sander
itis too fast and burns everything. As a saw ditto.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock
offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power
in the knock offs.

I have a Dremmel and it does all the jobs I throw at it. However, my
brother says he has burned out many Dremmels. Fein is good quality,
but I can think of better ways to stretch $400. I use the Dremmel
tool more than I thought I would, and only wish I had bought one years
ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can
convince
myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think
there
may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the
knock offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the
less power in the knock offs.

I have a Dremmel and it does all the jobs I throw at it. However,
my
brother says he has burned out many Dremmels. Fein is good quality,
but I can think of better ways to stretch $400. I use the Dremmel
tool more than I thought I would, and only wish I had bought one
years
ago.

When you say "Dremel" do you mean the electric imitation die grinder
or do you mean the Multimaster clone? Hard to imagine your brother
burning out "many" of the multimaster clones considering that it's
only been on the market for a year or so. But if he has burned out
"many" in that time then that's a good reason to stay away from it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
henry wrote:
[...]

I needed a saw to undercut door jambs for a hardwood floor. I bought a
Bosch reciprocating jamb saw for $105 at Lowe's and it is nice.
Finished the remaining doors in no time. You can lay a stick of the
flooring beside the jamb and use it as a guide. It didn't even scratch
the flooring.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man is not complete until he is
married, and then he's finished.

Need Advice re Fein MultiMaster cara1158 Home Repair 5 December 1st 07 02:44 AM
fein multimaster Renata Woodworking 14 September 21st 06 08:06 PM
Re fein multimaster srazor Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 04:15 PM
Re My Fein MultiMaster impression. srazor Woodworking 1 March 26th 06 10:00 PM
Fein Multimaster [email protected] UK diy 34 November 4th 05 04:34 AM