Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Gun rack question

Hi,

I'm building a couple of gun racks for a retiring coworker. They'll be
similar to this one:
http://www.thedolk.com/gunrack/index.html

Just something so they have a safe place to stay.

Does anyone have any ideas for those rubber baby bumper things on the upper
rack where the barrel sits? I'm thinking of just leaving it plain and
letting him decide whether to put something there, but in case I change my
mind, does anyone have any thoughts? Not ever having built one before, I
think I'm more interested in what NOT to use than what's best. What would
put marks on gun barrels, etc.

If I don't use anything, then I probably won't hurt anything.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:
Hi,

I'm building a couple of gun racks for a retiring coworker. They'll be
similar to this one:
http://www.thedolk.com/gunrack/index.html

Just something so they have a safe place to stay.

Does anyone have any ideas for those rubber baby bumper things on the upper
rack where the barrel sits? I'm thinking of just leaving it plain and
letting him decide whether to put something there, but in case I change my
mind, does anyone have any thoughts? Not ever having built one before, I
think I'm more interested in what NOT to use than what's best. What would
put marks on gun barrels, etc.

If I don't use anything, then I probably won't hurt anything.

Dan

I would not use rubber, nor would I leave it bare wood. I'd go to
the fabric store and get thick felt to line the barrel support groove.
It looks nice and does not mark the barrel.
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Dan wrote:
[...]

Didn't see the original post, but I would concur with Tim's assessment.
You might take a trip to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro shop if you
have one nearby and look at what they use in their gun safes to rest
firearms against. Looks like some kind of tightwoven carpet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Sat 29 Nov 2008 12:44:52p, Mark & Juanita
wrote in m:

Didn't see the original post, but I would concur with Tim's
assessment.
You might take a trip to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro shop if
you have one nearby and look at what they use in their gun safes to
rest firearms against. Looks like some kind of tightwoven carpet.

Thank you gentlemen. After some googling I've come up with the idea of
self-adhesive felt tape, similar to what they use for furniture on hardwood
floors. I should be able to find something like that around here.

Thanks again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote innews:7YmdndWNTuY5EKzUnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@supernews. com:

* Didn't see the original post, but I would concur with Tim's
* assessment.
You might take a trip to a Sportsman's Warehouse or Bass Pro shop if
you have one nearby and look at what they use in their gun safes to
rest firearms against. *Looks like some kind of tightwoven carpet.

Thank you gentlemen. After some googling I've come up with the idea of
self-adhesive felt tape, similar to what they use for furniture on hardwood
floors. I should be able to find something like that around here.

Thanks again.

To save the pain of driving around to several locations before finding
something you may want to consider a web order. This on-line merchant
from Little Rock AK - http://www.durofelt.com/image_24.html - is
offering their SAR1614BK-M in a black felt that is a very nice quarter
inch thick cushy pad. They also offer a thinner material for lower
cost.

- mkaras