J T

Default ROD RACK

http://sal****ersurffisherman.com/customrack.html

This is one of those things, you see it, you can make one. I never
considered anyone needing instructions on how to make one of these.

As much as it's getting built up around this area, it's still a
small town in many way. We do have a pawnshop, at least 4 Chinese
places, about all the fast food joints there are, a couple of them in
duplicate. And, along with that, at least two working farms within the
town/city limits. The other day, at one of the lights on the main
interstate, there was a huge combine, waiting for the light to change.
You don't get stuff like that in a big city. My place is a mile or so
out of town, close enough to walk to the store, if I actually had to -
but I'm not planning on it. I'm on a loop road, got loads of trees,
hilly, and in the summer can barely see any of my neighbors, even tho
there's probably a couple of dozen around. I could go out on my front
porch, and pee off of it, without getting arrested for it, in daylight.
How many of you can say the same? That's off of your front porch, not
mine. Ah, the joys of not living in town. Basically, life is good.

JOAT
Reality is not mandatory, it's just an option.

BobS

Yep... it's even got the mandatory beer cooler for the red-neck
rack......;-0

Bob S.

"J T" wrote in message
http://sal****ersurffisherman.com/customrack.html

This is one of those things, you see it, you can make one. I never
considered anyone needing instructions on how to make one of these.

Charlie Self

J T wrote:
[...]

I wish I were on a loop road. The country road in front of the house
has livened up in the past 28 years, to the point where I wish they'd
either put in a noise ordinance or declare open season on those with
blaring stereo systems. Otherwise, we're 10 miles from the nearest
town. At one time in my life, that was a fairly short walk, but these
days...not gonna happen. Years ago, we planted hybrid poplars along the
road, and the yard is full of other trees. In essence, I can step out
anywhere and water the yard. That's handy, given the lack of plumbing
in my shop. We don't have dozens of neighbors, but probably half a
dozen, only one of which can be seen from the front yard. It takes a
walk of 100 feet to see their house from the back yard.

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

Upscale

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

There isn't a doctor within 50 miles or is it a more specialized test?

Leon

"J T" wrote in message
http://sal****ersurffisherman.com/customrack.html

This is one of those things, you see it, you can make one. I never
considered anyone needing instructions on how to make one of these.

Well that plan sucks. I mean, my truck has a set of "Long Horn" horns
mounted on the front of the hood and they will naturally interfere with the
rods. Mount the rods on the back bumper. Shee. ;~)

Charlie Self

Upscale wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

There isn't a doctor within 50 miles or is it a more specialized test?

Simple blood test, I guess, but since Vets' Admin pays for 99% of my
health care, I'm obligated to use those services that are inconvenient,
as well as those that are handy. Plenty of doctors within 50 miles, but
none that do the rest of the stuff I need at the price I need, though I
guess Medicare covers much of it.

Odinn

On 6/27/2005 4:34 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

There isn't a doctor within 50 miles or is it a more specialized test?

If you are a disabled vet, you have to go to the VA, you can't just go
to any doctor and the VA accept the results. For me, that's a 120 mile
trip.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

On 6/27/2005 3:57 AM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:

J T wrote:

[...]

You live a bit further out than me, it's 3.5 miles to the nearest town
of 320, and I can't see any of my neighbors (the closest one is 150 ft
through the woods. I planted the lombardy poplars along the road (24 of
them, 241 ft of road frontage) to block the noise and view. Our road
has only been blactopped now for about 7 or 8 years, but they've put in
3 new subdivisions within a couple miles recently, and I've been telling
my wife it's time to move out to the country.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Patrick Conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in
oups.com:

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

When we moved out to Colorado, I originally thought about how awesome it
must be to live up in the mountains, surrounded by God's Majesty. Only
flora and fauana for company.

Then I stared wondering how folks got to the Grocery Store, or Walgreens.
Or a hamburger when the hankerin' hit. Or maybe a quick run into
BlockBuster. Or a bookstore.

What do they do when it snows 8'?
Or when a forrest fire is raging a few miles away?
Or what the heck would I do, if I fell off the roof and broke something
important?

Livin' the life of a hermit might be OK, if you're willing to accept the
consequences.
Charlie Self

Patrick Conroy wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in
oups.com:

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

When we moved out to Colorado, I originally thought about how awesome it
must be to live up in the mountains, surrounded by God's Majesty. Only
flora and fauana for company.

Then I stared wondering how folks got to the Grocery Store, or Walgreens.
Or a hamburger when the hankerin' hit. Or maybe a quick run into
BlockBuster. Or a bookstore.

What do they do when it snows 8'?
Or when a forrest fire is raging a few miles away?
Or what the heck would I do, if I fell off the roof and broke something
important?

Livin' the life of a hermit might be OK, if you're willing to accept the
consequences.

Or, as we had a few years ago, a series of ice storms throughout the
winter that kept us both housebound (couldn't get out of the driveway
for several days) and without power (IIRC, one 7 day period, one 3 day
period). No big deal, though you get a little gamy because the pump
doesn't run. Use kerosene lamps (they also help heat the house), and a
Coleman stove. Sleep a lot.

If one of us wants a hamburger, we usually have ground beef in the
fridge. If that's not good enough, we can drive to town, or go to the
nearest country store. There's also a small restaurant about six miles
away. 35 miles to the better restaurants. If a forest fire breaks
loose, it is far enough away from meadowland to not be a worry most of
the time. If I fall off the roof, it's because someone was behind me
with a shotgun to make me go up, but if it happens, a fast phone call
and the rescue squad is here inside of 10 minutes. Volunteer ambulance
corps, with excellent EMT training...and instead of a $1600 bill for
transport, they'll be around asking for a donation during the next
drive.

We're not exactly hermits, just 10 miles from the nearest town and 50
from the nearest VA facility. Going to a movie requires thought--is it
worth three or four gallons of gas, as well as the time and effort?
Usually not, but, then, I was the same way when I lived in a city and
most movies cost two bucks. I don't pay much attention to TV, either. I
was trying to think of the last time I watched a prime time show the
other day. I couldn't, and still can't, recall. Maybe five or six
years, but it could be a decade. The ads are enough to gag a maggot, so
why bother?

Of course, I can rent movies--six miles to a store with plenty of
titles--if I want, or pick up some at yard sales.

But what with one thing and another, our hermit-like leisure time is
eaten up with family and social activities based on country life, plus
a bit of woodworking here and there (to get back on topic) so we don't
get to sit and watch too many movies.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:20:06 GMT, the opaque Patrick Conroy
spake:

"Charlie Self" wrote in
roups.com:

Country life IS good. Except that later this morning, I have to drive
to VA for a blood test, and that's a 100 mile round trip.

When we moved out to Colorado, I originally thought about how awesome it
must be to live up in the mountains, surrounded by God's Majesty. Only
flora and fauana for company.

Then I stared wondering how folks got to the Grocery Store, or Walgreens.
Or a hamburger when the hankerin' hit. Or maybe a quick run into
BlockBuster. Or a bookstore.

Hamburger was out in the barn, still on the hoof. Groceries were
mostly raised right there on the farm. And they watched considerably
fewer movies back then.

What do they do when it snows 8'?

My neighbor grew up in SD. When it snowed that much, they went out the
second floor window and into the barn's hay loft, walking directly on
the deep snow with snowshoes. Getting to the well was not possible so
they melted snow for water. When it was just -40F, they took a pot of
water out with them to thaw the pump enough to pump water, then
hurriedly pumped a couple buckets worth for the day's use. She said
that other than emergencies, trips to town from their 5,000 acre ranch
were done on an annual basis! What a life!

Or when a forrest fire is raging a few miles away?

$100 table saw blades catch _fire_?

Or what the heck would I do, if I fell off the roof and broke something
important?

Your neighbors would sense it and come over. Or you'd die.

Livin' the life of a hermit might be OK, if you're willing to accept the
consequences.

Ayup.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
J T

Mon, Jun 27, 2005, 10:40am (EDT-3) (Charlie=A0Self)
sayeth:
Simple blood test, I guess, but since Vets' Admin pays for 99% of my
health care, I'm obligated to use those services that are inconvenient,
as well as those that are handy. Plenty of doctors within 50 miles, but
none that do the rest of the stuff I need at the price I need, though I
guess Medicare covers much of it.

Interesting. Now me, I'm on 100% disability, but so far the VA
claims I only have 40% disability (one day I'll have enough energy to
get on the case again - any of you who've dealt with the VA will know
what I'm talking about). So Medicare is considered my primary, and
CHAMPUS/TRICARE is secondary. So, I go to, basically, any doctor I
choose. I only pay a minimum for doctor visits, if at all, and
prescriptions are usually $9. With gas the price it is, might wind up
cheaper for you to get it all done closer.

In my experience, the VA is often confused. My civilian
optometrist disgnosed me with glaucoma. Told the VA. They cited a
regulation that if I saw an optometrist they would refer me to, I would
be rated, and not have to go to Winston Salem. OK, I went. The office
they referred me to had equipment left over form the Civil War it
seemed, quite primitive. My doctor had, and has, state of the art
equipment. Then the VA broke their own regulation, and required me to
go to Winston Salem anyway. Got there, and had to have an optometrist
there check me. Well, he did NOT have my records, and in fact had no
idea what I was there for. Not really surprising. They'd make
appointments for me to be checked for arthritis - already diagnosed with
arthritis of the spine. Then get the report - I don't have osteo or
rhemitoid arthritis. I'd write, and ask them to check me for some other
type of arthritis. Get an appoint, and go. Then get the report, I
don't have osteo or rhemitoid arthritis. Then repeat. Apparently no
section up there talks to another.