Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best wood candidate for new chisel handles

Seems like modern day chisel makers are using as many different types of
wood for their handles as there are makers of chisels, but is there
really any great advantage to using Hornbeam, Boxwood, and Rosewood
versus good ol' Hickory or Ash? I want to make some new handles for a
couple of my old general purpose socket chisels, and I'm trying to
decide what kind of wood to use. Looking through my stacks of suitable
cutoffs, I have (among many others, but I'm not really considering
things like Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, or even Oak):

Shagbark Hickory
Honey Locust
Mesquite
Pecan
Persimmon
Purpleheart
Padauk

What would you choose (or specifically NOT choose) and why? Just
curious. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/