Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood knife handles

HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 3:10*am, dafyddw wrote:
HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

Hi,
Alot of knife makers just use rouge on a buffing wheel to finsh there
handles.
I like to use tung oil on the wood handles.
randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 31 Mar, 11:46, randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:10*am, dafyddw wrote:

HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

Hi,
Alot of knife makers just use rouge on a buffing wheel to finsh there
handles.
I like to use tung oil on the wood handles.
randyhttp://nokeswoodworks.com

Thanks Randy, how many coats of the tung oil do you use, and do you
buff it up after?
cheers
DW
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 7:33*am, dafyddw wrote:
On 31 Mar, 11:46, randyswoodshoop wrote:

On Mar 31, 3:10*am, dafyddw wrote:

HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

Hi,
Alot of knife makers just use rouge on a buffing wheel to finsh there
handles.
I like to use tung oil on the wood handles.
randyhttp://nokeswoodworks.com

Thanks Randy, how many coats of the tung oil do you use, and do you
buff it up after?
cheers
DW

I do at least three and yes I do buff
Randy
http://nokeswoodwroks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 31 Mar, 09:10, dafyddw wrote:
HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood.

I'd avoid tung oil in favour of a commercial blended oil based on
tung. You really need to use thinners and driers in addition to pure
tung - otherwise it's quite awkward to use. The risk with oil,
especially pure tung, is that you put it on too thick and then it
never dries properly. The trick for any oil finish (and indeed most
finishes) is to only ever use thin coats.

If you did apply it too thick and it refuses to dry beyond sticky,
scrub it clean with white spirit on a rag, then re-apply more thinly.

For plain oil finishes on knife handles with "smart" wood finishes,
then I'd use about four or five coats of Liberon's finishing oil,
buffed out heavily between coats with a 3M or Webrax plastic abrasive
pad in the finest grey colour. I don't make an effort to do this, just
leave it on the table and give it a new coat whenever I walk past.
Leave a good few hours between coats in this weather. When it's done,
leave it a few days somewhere warm and then finally buff it and wax it
with a white pad.

For "workshop" tools I use Danish oil instead, which is a mix of oil
and a little varnish. Tougher, but doesn't look as nice as a plain oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dafyddw wrote:

HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

For knife handles I use linseed oil (either raw or boiled), a mix of
linseed oil and beeswas or plain beeswax. To apply the oil, wipe some
on, let it set for a few minutes then wipe off the excess and allow to
dry. Drying will take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for boiled (maybe
longer if it is cold or humid) to a week or more for raw. For the mix
of beeswax and oil, I mix about even parts oil, wax and turpentine
(helps disolve the wax) then wipe that on wait a day then polish or
buff. For straight wax, the wax has to be melted on carefully.

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

"r payne" wrote:

For knife handles I use linseed oil (either raw or boiled), a mix of
linseed oil and beeswas or plain beeswax. To apply the oil, wipe
some
on, let it set for a few minutes then wipe off the excess and allow
dry. Drying will take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for boiled
(maybe
longer if it is cold or humid) to a week or more for raw. For the
mix
of beeswax and oil, I mix about even parts oil, wax and turpentine
(helps disolve the wax) then wipe that on wait a day then polish or
buff. For straight wax, the wax has to be melted on carefully.

SFWIW, totally by accident I created your version of "Special sheep
dip" as follows:

Using a 1 lb coffee can, add 1 cup each of beeswax, BLO and turps.

Place coffee can in a 2 qt saucepan, about 1/2 full of water, which
creates a double boiler of sorts.

Place sauce pan over low heat and allow everything to melt and mix.

When wax has melted and mixed, remove coffee can from water with a
pair of pliers and allow to cool.

If mix is too hard to apply easily, remelt adding more turps.

Cap coffee can with plastic cover to keep on shelf.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Apr, 03:14, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"r payne" wrote:
[...]

Many many thanks for all the advice thus far! I've noticed that Teak
oil is apparently a mixture of tung and others . Would this be
suitable?
DW
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood knife handles -another question

Peter Huebner wrote in
t:

In article
,
says...
HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

What I am curious about is: what do you use to rivet the shells onto
the knife tang? Or do you use screws? I've tried to get stock for
riveting some knife handles once, and drew a total blank.

-P.

I highly recomend
http://www.jantzsupply.com/ for *all* your knife making
supplies - wood and mineral scales, blades, rivets/corbys/etc. They have a
good page on knifemaking info. I've built many of their kits (folders),
and used many "bare" blades for projects. You can even call them up and
just chat about knives!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Apr, 16:12, Peter Huebner wrote:

What I am curious about is: what do you use to rivet the shells onto the knife
tang? Or do you use screws? I've tried to get stock for riveting some knife
handles once, and drew a total blank.

I use thick brazing rod (brass), but anneal it first. You have to be
an insane quantity if it's just for rivetting, but if you're doing
brazing anyway the stuff is cheap and handy.

Otherwise model shops. They're expensive per-pound, but they sell
small quantities in a range of sizes.

Cutting knife slot in piece of wood L C Woodworking 14 July 21st 18 04:06 PM
FA: Draw knife with adjustable handles nordenfeldt Woodworking 0 November 16th 07 06:30 PM
Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design Owen Lawrence Woodworking 12 July 29th 06 07:34 PM
handles Nick Brooks UK diy 7 January 20th 04 05:18 PM
what to use for sawing 10mm veneers(for knife handles)?? Stephen Woodworking 2 October 14th 03 04:33 PM