Posted to rec.woodworking
dafyddw dafyddw is offline

Default wood knife handles

On 1 Apr, 03:14, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"r payne" wrote:
For knife handles I use linseed oil (either raw or boiled), a mix of
linseed oil and beeswas or plain beeswax. *To apply the oil, wipe
some
on, let it set for a few minutes then wipe off the excess and allow
dry. *Drying will take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for boiled
(maybe
longer if it is cold or humid) to a week or more for raw. *For the
mix
of beeswax and oil, I mix about even parts oil, wax and turpentine
(helps disolve the wax) then wipe that on wait a day then polish or
buff. *For straight wax, the wax has to be melted on carefully.

SFWIW, totally by accident I created your version of "Special sheep
dip" as follows:

Using a 1 lb coffee can, add 1 cup each of beeswax, BLO and turps.

Place coffee can in a 2 qt saucepan, about 1/2 full of water, which
creates a double boiler of sorts.

Place sauce pan over low heat and allow everything to melt and mix.

When wax has melted and mixed, remove coffee can from water with a
pair of pliers and allow to cool.

If mix is too hard to apply easily, remelt adding more turps.

Cap coffee can with plastic cover to keep on shelf.

YMMV

Lew

Many many thanks for all the advice thus far! I've noticed that Teak
oil is apparently a mixture of tung and others . Would this be
suitable?
DW