Posted to rec.woodworking
r payne r payne is offline

Default wood knife handles

dafyddw wrote:

HI , I've just cut some handles for a knife, but now I need to
'finish' the wood. I'm a real newbie to woodworking. Can anyone tell
me the best way to finish the wood?
cheers
DW

For knife handles I use linseed oil (either raw or boiled), a mix of
linseed oil and beeswas or plain beeswax. To apply the oil, wipe some
on, let it set for a few minutes then wipe off the excess and allow to
dry. Drying will take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for boiled (maybe
longer if it is cold or humid) to a week or more for raw. For the mix
of beeswax and oil, I mix about even parts oil, wax and turpentine
(helps disolve the wax) then wipe that on wait a day then polish or
buff. For straight wax, the wax has to be melted on carefully.

ron