Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Best wood candidate for new chisel handles

Steve Turner writes:
Seems like modern day chisel makers are using as many different types of
wood for their handles as there are makers of chisels, but is there
really any great advantage to using Hornbeam, Boxwood, and Rosewood
versus good ol' Hickory or Ash? I want to make some new handles for a
couple of my old general purpose socket chisels, and I'm trying to
decide what kind of wood to use. Looking through my stacks of suitable
cutoffs, I have (among many others, but I'm not really considering
things like Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, or even Oak):

For the last two handles I made for some flea market socket chisels
I laminated some tapered offcuts (mahogany and oak) from
tapered table legs and turned them. Look nice, and particularly for
paring chisels, work well.

scott