Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best wood candidate for new chisel handles

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:17:40 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Seems like modern day chisel makers are using as many different types of
wood for their handles as there are makers of chisels, but is there
really any great advantage to using Hornbeam, Boxwood, and Rosewood
versus good ol' Hickory or Ash? I want to make some new handles for a
couple of my old general purpose socket chisels, and I'm trying to
decide what kind of wood to use. Looking through my stacks of suitable
cutoffs, I have (among many others, but I'm not really considering
things like Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, or even Oak):

Shagbark Hickory
Honey Locust
Mesquite
Pecan
Persimmon
Purpleheart
Padauk

What would you choose (or specifically NOT choose) and why? Just
curious. :-)

Most handles are best made from strong dense wood. Taking a look at
my pile of scraps for a decent handle I see...
dogwood (amazingly beautiful wood)
apple
ash
hickory
pallet wood (walnut, cherry, and several unknown)

Being somewhat frugal, I'd probably pick the size/shape needed rather
than what kind of (dense) wood used. I have made handles
intentionally containing knots that have held up well over the years,
although I am careful about dead/loose knots.