Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default 5 gallon dust separator

I ran across this plan for making a 5 gallon dust separator and
thought it might
be of interest to those that do not have a dust collection system yet
or who
are just using a shop vac, I use a separator lid from Lee Valley and
have been
happy with it so far, but for something smaller, this might be just
the ticket for them
CC

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodw...ien-separator/

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
I ran across this plan for making a 5 gallon dust separator and
thought it might
be of interest to those that do not have a dust collection system
yet
or who
are just using a shop vac, I use a separator lid from Lee Valley and
have been
happy with it so far, but for something smaller, this might be just
the ticket for them
CC

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodw...ien-separator/

It's not homebrew pennytech, but Clearvue Cyclones
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ has a proper cyclone sized to work
with a shop vac and fit on a 5 gallon bucket for about 120 bucks.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 3:49 pm, "CC" wrote:
I ran across this plan for making a 5 gallon dust separator and
thought it might
be of interest to those that do not have a dust collection system yet
or who
are just using a shop vac, I use a separator lid from Lee Valley and
have been
happy with it so far, but for something smaller, this might be just
the ticket for them
CC

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodw...lding-the-5_ga...

Or cry once and get the CV06 from clearvuecyclones, which works
fantastically well. I don't know how it compares to this particular
modification, but it's an order of magnitude better than a regular
separator lid, both in terms of separation and to basically be able to
fill the entire container to the brim without anything being pulled
through. Also it's cool being able to see it working

It's still not the CFMs of a real dust collector, but there are some
tools for which a vac is necessary.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
I ran across this plan for making a 5 gallon dust separator and
thought it might be of interest to those that do not have a dust
collection system yet or who are just using a shop vac, I use a
separator lid from Lee Valley and have been happy with it so far, but
for something smaller, this might be just the ticket for them

I have a pair of clear lids from LV daisy-chained on 55-gal drums - and
built a smallish ShopVac powered separator for my router table:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/MiniCyclone/

Works fairly well - especially considering that it was built from scrap
materials...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar