Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vix bits vs. "Hinge" bits

I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 8:26*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. *The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? *Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? *Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? *The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I find Vix bits work very well, except when wood is gummy and it plugs
the flutes.
I have had mine for 20+ years and a simple cleaning and a squirt of
TopKote keeps them going.
Nothing else I have tried works as well.... for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

You might leave your comments on them with LV. I know they don't like to
stock products that don't work well. You never know what kind of response
you'll get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I also have the same bits, never had a problem with them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the
bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits
work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with?
The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I have a Craftsman set (3 sizes), screw driver bit on one end and
drill bit on the other
and they have always worked well and never given me a problem,
They were around $14 apiece if I remember right, I've used them in a
commercial
shop for 4 years up till I was laid off couple months ago. I'd buy
them again if I needed any
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 8:26 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I use Rocklers - they work fine. I have no idea of what the price
comparison is

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 12:49 am, wrote:
On Oct 21, 8:26 pm, Jay Pique wrote:

I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I use Rocklers - they work fine. I have no idea of what the price
comparison is

The ones I have from rockler get jammed up, the flutes get plugged up
and then it can't spring back down all the way.

My workaround is to just start the hole with that bit, going in a 1/4"
at most. Then I go back with a normal bit to get to the right depth.
It's a lot faster than trying to hold the sleeve up and pick out the
jam in between every hole at least.
Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

But are they self-centering? I have something similar that will drill
a countersunk screw hole.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A lie in time saves nine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 8:26*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. *The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? *Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? *Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? *The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance
table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and
cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They
work fine now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

I have the Lee Valley bits. I used them to change about a hundred hinges on
some cabinets. They worked OK, but every couple of hours I would have to
disassemble them to lubricate and clean out metal particles that they were
grinding up where the parts rubbed. I just about wore one out. They should
be built to not self destruct so fast.

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 8:26 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I bought a few cheapies from Lowes a while back from the clearance
table and had the same problem. Fixed it by unscrewing the sleeve and
cutting the spring on one and changing the spring on the other. They
work fine now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

To keep these type bits cleared out use the fastest speed drill that you
own, typically a regular rechargeable drill does not spin fast enough
however a rechargeable impact driver is typically OK. Don't waste time,
drill the hole quickly and pull the bit out, this will help prevent the
shavings from "packing in".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 2:18*pm, "Leon" wrote:

To keep these type bits cleared out use the fastest speed drill that you
own, typically a regular rechargeable drill does not spin fast enough
however a rechargeable impact driver is typically OK. *Don't waste time,
drill the hole quickly and pull the bit out, this will help prevent the
shavings from "packing in".

Thanks for the replies. I'll try cleaning them up and stuff and see
if a change in technique helps before springing for a new set.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
CC wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they are self centering.
3 different sizes.
this is the ones I bought

tool part #
Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set
Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

Link to part
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Drill+Bits

they have a cheaper 3 part set that looks like a cheap set to me also.
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

I've got a set of hinge bits, or centering bits, but man they are
pretty crappy. The spring gets all mushed up and the bit won't go
back into the shaft (or the shaft won't go back down around the bit).
Has anyone else had this problem? Do the real Vix brand Vix bits work
better? Or is it just something you have to learn to deal with? The
ones I have are from LV, btw.

Thanks.

JP

I have the Vix bits,they often do the same thing when chips don't clear
the bit. I've never really seen this as a major problem, a quick tug on
the shaft and it's good to go. The application for the bits doesn't really
see a very high volume of holes at any one time, so it doesn't really slow
things down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not send them back to Lee Valley and ask for a refund - if they
get a lot back, they may try finding a better product

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:

I have a Craftsman set (3 sizes), screw driver bit on one end and
drill bit on the other

But are they self-centering? I have something similar that will drill
a countersunk screw hole.

Yes, they are self centering.
3 different sizes.
this is the ones I bought

tool part #
Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set
Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

They don't look like self centering vix bits. Vix bits have the drill
bit hidden inside a case that has a rounded base that self centers
inside the hinge hole. The bit is spring loaded and when you push on
the drill the bit comes out and drills the hole perfectly in the center
of the hole. I have an old set of these I think from Sears, and never
had a problem with them. I also have a really really old metal counter
sink that has a metal point that retracts into a self centering case
that you hit with a hammer. I guess that was used before some now
millionaire invented the vix bit.

The Sears item #00964336000 Mfr. model #64336
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...vel=1&sLevel=0

or at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vix-Bit-9VIXBI.../dp/B0000224LD

What you are using is a counter sink drill bit.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
CC wrote:

I have a Craftsman set (3 sizes), screw driver bit on one end and
drill bit on the other

But are they self-centering? I have something similar that will
drill a countersunk screw hole.

Yes, they are self centering.
3 different sizes.
this is the ones I bought

tool part #
Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set
Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

They don't look like self centering vix bits. Vix bits have the
drill bit hidden inside a case that has a rounded base that self
centers inside the hinge hole. The bit is spring loaded and when
you push on the drill the bit comes out and drills the hole
perfectly in the center of the hole.

That is what these do. They have the holder, which is like a socket,
The vix bit on one side of the insert and the driver on the other, You
switch the insert around to use which ever side you want, The self
centering spring
loaded drill bit is on one side, the other side is the appropriate
sized driver for
the screws that you would use for that size hole,
CC

I have an old set of these I think from Sears, and never
had a problem with them. I also have a really really old metal
counter sink that has a metal point that retracts into a self
centering case that you hit with a hammer. I guess that was used
before some now millionaire invented the vix bit.

The Sears item #00964336000 Mfr. model #64336
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...vel=1&sLevel=0

or at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vix-Bit-9VIXBI.../dp/B0000224LD

What you are using is a counter sink drill bit.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message

tool part #
Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set
Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

Link to part
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Drill+Bits

they have a cheaper 3 part set that looks like a cheap set to me also.
CC

That links to a counter sink and pilot bit with a driver bit that fits over
the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message

That is what these do. They have the holder, which is like a socket,
The vix bit on one side of the insert and the driver on the other, You
switch the insert around to use which ever side you want, The self
centering spring
loaded drill bit is on one side, the other side is the appropriate sized
driver for
the screws that you would use for that size hole,
CC

There is no Vix bit in the link that you provided.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default Ping Leon Vix bits vs. "Hinge" bits

Leon, you are right,
I went back and looked again, then went out to garage to make sure
I was looking at what I was posting about, The one I have is indeed a
vix bit with that type holder, I couldn't find it at their web site,
so I went down
to the Sears store, about a mile away and all I could find there were
the
countersink bits for the holder. Talked to the tool guy there and he
remembers them also
But maybe they've quit carrying them now. That seems to be the way
when
you find something that works good,
CC

"Leon" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message

tool part #
Craftsman Compact Drill & Driver Set
Sears item# 00964332000 Mfr. model# 64332

Link to part
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Drill+Bits

they have a cheaper 3 part set that looks like a cheap set to me
also.
CC

That links to a counter sink and pilot bit with a driver bit that
fits over the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
Leon, you are right,
I went back and looked again, then went out to garage to make sure
I was looking at what I was posting about, The one I have is indeed a
vix bit with that type holder, I couldn't find it at their web site, so
I went down
to the Sears store, about a mile away and all I could find there were the
countersink bits for the holder. Talked to the tool guy there and he
remembers them also
But maybe they've quit carrying them now. That seems to be the way when
you find something that works good,
CC

Apparently you didn't read my whole reply CC. Sears does sell Hinge
bits, or Vix bits if you want to call them that.

Here is the link again to both sears and amazon Vix bits.

The Sears item #00964336000 Mfr. model #64336
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...vel=1&sLevel=0

or at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vix-Bit-9VIXBI.../dp/B0000224LD

If the tool guy at Sears doesn't know about them, it is probably because
he is looking for Vix bits and not Hinge bits. At any rate, the Sears
computer knows about them:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
CC wrote:
[...]

Hi Jack, I read your whole reply, yes, they carry a set of them, but
the ones I had bought and are
using are the one's that fit in the holder that I used for a link, I
have not used the type
that the link you showed goes to. So I was only familiar with the one
that is no longer shown,
Or, if it's available, I cannot find the link to them
Thanks
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:

Hi Jack, I read your whole reply, yes, they carry a set of them, but the
ones I had bought and are
using are the one's that fit in the holder that I used for a link, I
have not used the type
that the link you showed goes to. So I was only familiar with the one
that is no longer shown,
Or, if it's available, I cannot find the link to them

I have an old, very old, set of vix bits that I think I got at Sears,
not sure. These don't have a drill bit in them, but a flat hunk of
metal with a point on it. These work great except I broke the metal
"drill" bit on one of them and it is not replaceable, and doesn't come
apart. The one shown at:

http://www.amazon.com/Vix-Bit-9VIXBI.../dp/B0000224LD

has a drill bit in it, and it looks like the bit is replaceable if you
break it or need to sharpen the bit. The old ones I own never gave me a
problem other than the one I broke, which was my stupidity, no fault of
the tool.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
CC wrote:

[...]

Don't you really hate it when you break a good tool and there are no
parts for it, or they
cannot be replaced. I think I am going to be in the same shape if I
break the one I have,
At least it looks that way so far.
CC